Fay Cross

May 23, 2023, by Helen Whitehead

Five minutes with… Fay Cross

What is your job role?

Multimedia Content Developer – mainly supporting the use of Xerte at the university (support, training and developing new features to meet the needs to Xerte users at the university).

What 3 words describe you?

Approachable, Creative, Skilled (contributed by editor)

Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself

Before I stumbled into working in learning technology, I used to be an archaeologist and worked on one of the Time Team digs. People always ask ‘did you find anything exciting?’ but it was almost disappointing to find things as it would slow me down (I really liked the satisfaction of looking down at a big hole that I’d dug at the end of the day!)

What excites you about learning technology?

In learning technology generally, it’s such a varied and constantly changing field that there’s always something new to learn about. In my own work, I love being creative and developing new solutions to the problems or ideas that are brought to me.

Do you have any top tips for our users?

As I mostly work with Xerte I really should be promoting that here! If you haven’t tried it before, come along to one of the monthly training sessions that I run and find out how it might be useful in your work. It’s really easy to get started and begin creating highly interactive, accessible resources.

What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology at the University of Nottingham this next year?

There’s a lot of work going on within the Learning Technologies section at the moment to promote accessibility. I’d recommend for everyone to familiarise themselves with the Nottingham Accessibility Practices (NAPS) and sign up to the Digital Accessibility Conference. Making small changes to the way we work can have a huge impact on student experience.

What have you learned recently?

I’ve become a bit addicted to signing up to various craft courses so in the last year I’ve created many (wonky) pots on a beginners pottery course and I’ve more recently been learning how to create mosaics.

More in this series

Posted in Five minutes with...Learning technologyXerteXerte Toolkits