Julian Tenney playing music

January 6, 2023, by Helen Whitehead

Five minutes with… Julian Tenney

What is your job role? 

I am the Learning Content team Leader in Learning Technology. I have a great team and we provide services around video production and multimedia development to the University community. My work takes me all around the University and I get to meet loads of people and find out about all sorts of amazing things going on. I like it a lot.

What 3 words describe you? 

Creative, straightforward, unpretentious.

Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself 

I have a long-standing interest in close-up magic, I started doing some tricks for the kids when they were young and kinda got it into it. I’m fascinated by illusion at close-quarters.

What excites you about learning technology? 

The most exciting thing about learning technology is the opportunity to radically improve the ways in which we learn and the opportunities it provides for learners to participate actively in the learning environment: it means we can teach and develop things like creativity in ways that simply weren’t possible before.

Do you have any top tips for our users? 

If you think something might work, give it a shot and see what happens.

What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology at the University of  Nottingham this academic year? 

Accessibility. But then I have to say that! Actually the benefits of accessible practice have far-reaching effects and benefits for everyone, I don’t really see it as being about disability, it’s just about good professional practice. For disabled users, the benefits of inclusive environments can be life-changing.

What have you learned recently? 

I play guitar and I’ve been learning about playing jazz, not because I want to be a jazz guitarist particularly, but just because I just want to be a better musician. I’ve learned a lot. There’s a lot of jazz in the playing of guitarists like Jerry Garcia and I love to improvise like that.

More in this series

Posted in Five minutes with...Learning technologyStoriesUniversity of Nottingham Libraries