February 7, 2014, by Beth Dawson
Introducing our new Internship Support Grant!
By Amanda Miller, Internship Support Grants Coordinator, Careers and Employability Service.
Are you looking for an internship this year? If so, did you know that you could receive up to £500 with our new Internship Support Grant to cover some of the costs associated with work placements. This grant replaces the Work Experience Grant we offered in previous years.
What is it?
The grant can help you to cover costs such as:
- accommodation for the first two weeks of your placement
- living expenses for the first two weeks of your placement
- equipment or materials you need for your internship
- work clothing up to a maximum of £120
- other expenses directly related to your work experience
Last year students told us that they were unhappy with the ‘first-come, first-served’ way money from the Work Experience Grant scheme was distributed. As a result of this feedback, we’ve introduced two deadline dates for the Internship Support Grant. This means that whether you’re the first applicant or the last to get your form in, your applications will be assessed equally.
Who should apply for the grant?
Our Internship Support Grant is means-tested and you’re eligible for this scheme if:
- you receive the University’s Core Bursary or other financial support and you’ll need to provide us with evidence of this
- your employer will be paying you at least the National Minimum Wage – we can’t fund unpaid work experience
- you have secured a placement with a small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) – a company employing fewer than 250 people or with a turnover of less than €50 million
- your internship is based in the UK and priority will be given to placements in the East Midlands
- you have your tutor’s signature, if your internship is during term-time
- you have not previously received the Work Experience Grant
When and how to apply?
We have two deadlines for the Internship Support Grant Scheme depending on when your internship is:
- If your internship is going to take place before the summer vacation, you will need to apply by 16 February.
- If you are going to undertake your internship during the summer vacation, you will need to apply by 16 May.
The application form and more information about the scheme is available on our website.
For advice on securing an internship, you can book an appointment with a member of our team via My Career. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what latest internship vacancies.
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first