April 4, 2023, by Sarah
On trial: two British Online Archives collections
We are pleased to bring you trial access to two collections from the British Online Archives: The West Indies in Records from Colonial Missionaries, 1704-1950 and Liverpool Shipping records: imports and exports 1820-1990 Parts 1-4.
The West Indies in Records from Colonial Missionaries, 1704-1950 consists of letters and reports from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (later the United Society Partners in the Gospel), detailing their missionary work and role in slavery. These reports cover both sides of the Society’s legacy as it moved from owning slaves to educating the emancipated.
The seven volumes are:
- C series materials (letters focusing on Jamaica and Barbados), 1714-1908
- Copies of letters received (written by missionaries in the colonies), 1835-1928
- Copies of letters sent (by USPG head office), 1834-1931
- The Codrington collection, 1704-1898
- E series of original missionary reports, 1901-1950
- Papers of the Barbados Committee, 1710-1842
- Miscellaneous USPG contents lists to various series
Liverpool Shipping records: imports and exports 1820-1990 collection contains bills of entry from official primary sources, containing the reports and manifests of ships that docked in Liverpool between these years.
It provides an overview of the emergence of Liverpool as a maritme centre and an insight into global trade in the 19th century.
The Liverpool Shipping records: imports and exports 1820-1990 collection is in four parts:
The trials run until 2 May 2023.
Do let us know what you think. Please send your feedback to the Libraries Collections team: firstname.lastname@example.org
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first