November 21, 2018, by Katherine Beers
Djanogly LRC joins 24/7 library opening from Monday 26 November
Djanogly LRC on Jubilee Campus will join Hallward and George Green Libraries in opening 24/7 on 26 November. All three libraries will remain 24/7 until the end of term on 14 December.
How to find a library space
As most of you will be aware, the libraries are experiencing one of our busiest times of year – other peak times are during January, April, May and June. Here are some ways to avoid the scramble for seats between 9 and 5pm
- Could you consider using the library earlier in the morning, later in the evening or at weekends?
With 3 libraries now open 24/7 there is quite a lot of time when we are quiet and have more study space available.
- Try a different library – we’ve got 8 libraries that are spread over all campuses, not all of them are busy at the same times due to different teaching schedules.
- If you are working in a group, why not book a study room in advance? Most of our libraries have them and you may book via NUsearch room bookings. You can book for a maximum of 6 hours at a time.
- E-resources are available anytime, anywhere, so you can access them from in your bedroom to a table in Mooch. You might want to make sure that the Wifi is good though because, well you know – buffering!!
- In most of our libraries we have a board on the ground floor that shows throughout the day how busy study areas are – using a red, amber, green rating. Hallward’s shown in the picture is at the bottom of the main staircase.
Take care of yourselves
24/7 offers flexibility for study, it doesn’t mean that you have to be there around the clock! Here are some handy study tips on how to make the most of your library time without over doing it:
- Take regular breaks, have a short walk around the library or why not get up and browse the book shelves
- Be realistic in your revision and study targets, your brain might take longer to digest information especially if you are tired or stressed
- Bring enough clothing to keep warm – when less people are in the library or if you sit still for long periods the library can feel cold
- Keep hydrated, we provide water coolers in all libraries, and vending machines are available in most, if you need refreshment
- Bring snacks but nothing too smelly or noisy
- Please be respectful of others studying in the library
- Have a hometime plan, can you walk or travel with friends? You can find out about the University bus services here.
For the full details of all 24/7 library opening for 2018-19, please read this blog.
Posted in Customer ServicesDjanogly Learning Resource CentreGeorge Green LibraryGreenfield Medical LibraryHallward LibraryJCG LibraryManuscripts Reading RoomsMusic LibraryNew Stuff
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first
Leave a Reply