September 7, 2018, by Sarah
Sage Research Methods
We’re delighted to bring you access to Sage Research Methods, a database dedicated to research methods across a range of subject areas. SAGE Research Methods supports research at all levels by providing material to guide users through every step of the research process.
Read on to find out more, book a training session or join a webinar.
We have extended trial access to Sage Research Methods Core for the coming year. The database supports all stages of the research process from: writing a research question, conducting a literature review, choosing the best research methods, analysing data, to writing up results and thinking about publication. Sage Research Methods Core includes books, reference material, journal articles, 60+ videos and Research Tools:
- Books – full digital versions of print text
- Handbooks – comprehensive coverage of specific subjects
- Little Blue Books – in-depth guide on specific qualitative research methods
- Little Green Books – in-depth guide on specific quantitative research methods
- Major Works – volumes of curated book and journal content that address particular methods of research
- Dictionary – quick definitions of research methods concepts
- Encyclopaedia – longer definitions with more context
- Methods Map – a visualisation tool to help understand the relationship between different research methods concepts
- Project Planner – walks through the research process from start to finish in logical steps
- Which Stats Test – helps you choose an appropriate statistical method
While some video is included, the main Video collection is an optional add-on which we do not have access to at present. We have access to the Cases and Datasets add-ons:
SAGE Research Methods Cases
SAGE Research Methods Cases are stories of how real research projects were conducted. The case studies show the challenges and successes of doing research, written by the researchers themselves. They explain why the researchers chose the methods they did, how they overcame problems in their research and what they might have done differently with hindsight: the realities of research that are missing from journal articles and textbooks.
Sage Research Methods Datasets
SAGE Research Methods Datasets is a collection of teaching datasets and instructional guides that give students a chance to learn data analysis by practicing themselves. This bank of topical, engaging practice datasets, indexed by method and data type, are optimized to use in classroom exercises or in exam papers, saving faculty members hours spent sourcing and cleaning data themselves. The decisions researchers make when analyzing data can seem like a black box for students—through practicing analysis using real data from SAGE Research Methods Datasets, students can see how analytic decisions are made, helping them to become confident researchers.
We’ve arranged for a trainer from Sage to deliver 2 hands-on training sessions on Thursday 20th September. The session will cover content and tools you can use in order to improve your research skills, building your confidence and experience in using the database for future study and research projects. There will be time to explore the platform independently and to ask questions. (Link to book has been removed).
Alternatively, sign up for one of the upcoming Sage webinars:
- Tuesday 18th September 10am-11am BST
- Thursday 18th October 1-2pm BST
- Tuesday 20th November 3-4pm GMT
Each webinar introduces the SAGE Research Methods database, covering all the components and tools you can use in order to improve your research skills.
As this is a one-year trial, we would very much welcome your feedback. Please contact the Libraries Collections team: email@example.com.