August 2, 2016, by Pauline Wheeler
Box of Broadcasts (BoB) upgrade
Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is being upgraded throughout August.
A new Box of Broadcasts went live on 1 August, which you can access now. However, there will be limited content and functionality available during the upgrade period. You won’t be able to access your saved clips and playlists, or some archive content broadcast before 1 July 2016.
BoB apologise for any inconvenience caused during this period. The full archive and enhanced functionality will be restored in September:
- Clips and playlists functionality
From Wednesday 31 August enhanced clips and playlist functionality will be restored, so you can compile and curate playlists of content from the archive. From Monday 12 September you’ll be able to import your previous clips and playlists from the old BoB system. The importation process is quick and easy.
- New recording limit
From Wednesday 31 August you’ll be able to make unlimited numbers of clips a day. They have upped your daily recording limit from five to ten, so that making clips will no longer eat into your recording limit.
If you need any bespoke support during this transitition please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is BoB?
Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is an off-air recording and media archive service provided by the British Universities Film & Video Council. We subscribe to it under the terms of our ERA (Educational Recording Agency) licence, which allows staff and students to record and play free to air broadcasts for educational use.
BoB allows you to:
- record TV and radio programmes scheduled to be broadcast on UK terrestrial and Freeview channels as well as retrieving programmes from the last seven days from a selected list of recorded channels.
- watch programmes from the archive, create clips, and compile your own playlists of favourite shows.
- share recordings with students and other members of the University via the service.
What improvements will you see?
BoB has put together a short video to highlight the improvements
- A platform working across desktop, iOS and Android devices
- Media records based on our TRILT metadata, supporting more powerful searching capabilities
- Better programme coverage and a permanent archive of all broadcast content from nine channels: BBC1 London / BBC2 / BBC4 / ITV London / Channel 4 / More4 / Channel 5 / BBC Radio 4 / BBC Radio 4 Extra
- Better thumbnail previews on search results
- Preview clips before saving
- Label your own clips
- Personalised email alerts when programmes are ready to view
- More detailed citation data
How to access BoB
To visit the new BoB, go to:
You will also find it listed under Databases on NUsearch.
You will need to sign in by choosing University of Nottingham from a drop down list. The first time you use it you will be asked to set up an account by completing a short form.
Please note you can only access and use BoB in the United Kingdom as it is licensed under our UK institutional ERA (Educational Recording Agency) licence.