@wethehumanities

15/10/2015, by CLAS

@wethehumanities: My week discussing linguistics and languages on Twitter

Twitter is a great platform to share your work and connect with other people who are interested in similar topics and issues. In July, I took a break from tweeting from my usual account @SaschaStollhans, and I took over the @wethehumanities Twitter account for a week in July 2015 to share my thoughts on linguistics, languages and German Studies.

The “We the Humanities” initiative is an international online project designed to spread the diversity and value of the humanities. At the heart of the project is the #wethehumanities Twitter account – a rotation-curation account which offers a central platform for discussion and news of the humanities in all its forms. The project is a good way to share academic work and discuss its impact with more than 3000 followers (and counting) from all over the world and from various backgrounds. You can read my introduction as a guest-curator  here.

My curation week took off to a great start, and big issues came up straight away:

tweet1
I was keen to discuss topics close to my own research and teaching interests: German studies, linguistics, and language teaching and learning. A particular interesting debate was on the role of languages in various disciplines and in a globalised world.  Here are some highlights:

tweet2

tweet3

Another fantastic (and quite heated) discussion was about linguistic variation and diversity:

tweet4tweet5tweet6

tweet7

All in all, I had a fantastic week guest-curating @wethehumanities. It was a great experience to discuss language(s) with researchers, practitioners, students and other interested people from all over the world and a variety of disciplines. I learnt a lot, and it was very insightful to hear about other fields and perspectives.

Sascha Stollhans, Department of German Studies

Posted in French and Francophone StudiesGerman StudiesRussian and Slavonic StudiesSpanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies