June 6, 2019, by Charlotte Gauja

Volunteers Week | Laureus Sport for Good

The Laureus Sport for Good programme aims to enhance the social and emotional development of children in disadvantaged communities by providing sporting opportunities.

This year Fiona Barrs, a 3rd year Sport Rehabilitation and Exercise Science student, has been a volunteer mentor for ‘The Laureus Sporting for Good’ programme. We caught up with her to find out how she has used the power of sport to transform young people’s lives.

“The role entailed a group of volunteers coaching disadvantaged children in Year 6, 7 or 8. The project provided me with a focus outside of my academic study, it allowed me to work with a different group of peers as well as experience working with young people.”

“Although it was challenging adapting to working with a variety of different levels, needs and behaviours from the young people. It was a great way to make new friends and help make a small difference to the community!”

“Personally, I have found the programme has developed my communication skills as I had to think on my feet in front of a younger crowd. This allowed me to be creative in finding new ways to engage the young people in sport as well as facilitating them with their own social action project.”

“Overall it has been a great experience, the training, support and delivery has been a great addition to my university experience and personal development! The experience has helped me plan my future more and I now know want to work with young people in my career.”

Find out more about volunteer opportunities here.

Posted in Volunteering