October 21, 2013, by Olivia

The Food Diaries

WARNING: This post may make you hungry.

So I’ve been living off my own cooking  for a little over 3 weeks now. I have to say, I am amazed that I got this far. Before I moved into self-catered accommodation the only food I knew how to “cook” was microwaveable. Think pot noodles, Cup a soup and leftover pizza. Yeah, not exactly the most balanced diet..

olio

Spaghetti aglio olio with king prawns

I was supposed to learn over the summer. That didn’t go well, actually it didn’t go at all.. However once I was moved-in, I was on my own and there were no more excuses. I just had to get over the fear of cooking. Now that I have to cook every other day, I cannot remember why I was so afraid. I still remember my first meal, pasta; (surprise surprise) in the form of spaghetti aglio olio. I remember panicking and calling up my mum to ask how she made it. After some reassuring, I dived in an cooked my first meal. It doesn’t look amazing but it tasted pretty decent.

I went on to make more pasta (what can I say it’s a student’s dish) this time experimenting with other types such as bolognese and carbonara from scratch. The more I cooked, the more ambitious I became. I tried making Eggs Benedict. I say tried because I over-cooked one of the eggs and it splattered over the stove. Luckily, the next one turned out alright. Phew.

Eggs benedict

Eggs benedict

Spaghetti alla carbonara

Spaghetti alla carbonara

As I became a bit more confident, (and bored of pasta) I started looking up recipes online. Just last week I made blue cheese and shallot flavoured butter!

Flavoured butter goes great with steak!

Flavoured butter goes great with steak!

What I’m trying to say is cooking turned out to be something that I really enjoy doing. It’s also great when I want to release a bit of stress. I would say almost therapeutic! It’s pretty difficult to think of anything else e.g coursework deadlines while you’re making sure food doesn’t burn. Here’s hoping I’ve encouraged you to venture beyond the comfort of halls next year and to get cooking!

Signing off for now, hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Posted in Olivia