June 24, 2014, by Graham Kendall

PhD student, Weiling Chow wins first Place in World Water Day 2014 competition

A first year PhD student from the University of Nottingham, Wei Ling Chow has presented her poster to a very high standard of clarity at World Water Day 2014. The competition with the theme “Water & Energy” was organised by Forum Air Malaysia with the aim of addressing critical issues related to the water and energy sector in Malaysia.

Wei Ling’s work highlights on an innovative solution through an effective cost-saving treatment method. This ground breaking method known as co-digestion is used to generate renewable energy by treating wastewater from the oleo chemical industry.

‘’The competition was certainly challenging and it was great to catch a glimpse on the insightful works by fellow postgraduate researchers from other universities. It was very rewarding to see judges from leading industry professionals enjoy my presentation and recognise my research contribution to the industry.” says Wei Ling.

Wei Ling’s poster was selected as one of the top 5 finalists to be presented on that day. Her outstanding presentation coupled with the excellent research findings managed to impress the panel of judges and secured her as the first place winner in the competition.

I am honoured to receive this award and will take this as a starting point to further my research and bring it to a higher level. The entire event has been an enriching experience for me. For this, I would like to thank Dr Chan Yi Jing, Prof Chong Mei Fong and Prof Dominic Foo for giving me this great opportunity and invaluable guidance,’’ added Wei Ling.

Weiling Chow wins first Place in World Water Day 2014 competition - 02 Weiling Chow wins first Place in World Water Day 2014 competition - 01

Posted in AwardFoE