March 1, 2013, by Graham Kendall

What is your research all about?

We plan to launch an occasional series (called What is? – this is a category link, so it will gradually get populated as people post about their research areas) where we will ask experienced researchers to briefly describe their research discipline, not from the point of view of their particular (focused) research area, but in more general terms.

We hope that this will:

• Inform others about your discipline;
  • Perhaps attract students to study with us (after being inspired by your blog post!);
  • Help others working in the same discipline by suggesting possible journals to publish in, talk about open research questions to tackle, suggest interesting papers, books and articles to read etc.;
  • Initiate collaborations across campus between researchers who see synergies between their research discipline and yours.

To show willing, I’ll start off the series with one of my areas, Operations Research, with the hope that it motivates others to also contribute about their areas.

If you feel that you would like to write about your own area, let me know (graham.kendall@nottingham.edu.my) and we can discuss the best way to do it. In the meantime, I will start to invite certain people to contribute.

Posted in DisseminationWhat is?