May 18, 2016, by The Ingenuity Lab
Happy National Vegetarian Week: Day 3
Happy Vegetarian Week to you all! Courtesy of Ingenuity Lab member and Director of Nutri2Go, Jordana Chin, we will be sharing a recipe a day with you for the whole week!
We are a day out so look out for two recipe to try today! Roll those sleeves up and get cooking! Share your creations with us today!
Recipe Number 3: Lentil, mushroom & carrot stew (Vegetarian, vegan)
- 1 cup/100g dry green or brown lentils
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large (~100g) carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme*
- *or 1.5 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (choose low-sodium veg stock if using stock cubes)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper (Season to taste)
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the lentils and reduce the heat, letting it simmer uncovered for ~30 mins, until it softens. Set aside when done.
- In a separate large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic and seasonings, stir frequently, and let it cook for around 5-7 mins. Add tomato paste, stir and let cook for about a minute. Add cornstarch, stir to coat and cook for another minute. Add red wine (optional) for 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bay leaves and lower heat to simmer
- Add lentils and let simmer for at least 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Served with brown rice, couscous, or wholemeal pitta bread.
Thank you, Jordana for sharing this with us – can’t wait for supper!
Please do ensure you subscribe to this blog to keep updated about our events and activities! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first
Leave a Reply