April 5, 2017, by Grace Pownall

The 5 best gigs I’ve experienced in Nottingham

When applying to university, one of my greatest priorities was the proximity to as many live music venues as possible. 2.5 years and 25 gigs later, I know that choosing Nottingham was most definitely the right decision! With venues ranging from tiny cafes to a huge arena, Notts has it all.

It was tough to narrow down my favourite musical experiences, so I’ve picked a one from each venue in Nottingham!

Bastille – Motorpoint Arena – Ticket price: £30.00*

After the release of their hugely popular second album, Bastille stopped by the Motorpoint Arena to play a mix of new hits and old favourite to thousands (literally) of adoring fans. Despite sitting at the very back of the arena, we still got an impressive view!

Jack Garratt – Rock City – Ticket price: £18.50*

Jack’s incredible electronic one man show is a sight worth seeing: he played songs from his debut album by looping guitars, drums and vocals all at once. Mid-show he teased the audience with snippets of various cover songs, before committing to a full rendition of the theme from “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air”!

Twin Atlantic – Rescue Rooms – Ticket price: £16.00*

Having seen Twin Atlantic twice before in Birmingham, I was excited to see the band in a more intimate venue on their warm-up tour before the release of their third album, meaning we got to see never-heard before album tracks early!

Clean Cut Kid – The Bodega – Ticket Price: £7.00*

Having seen the band as a support act at venues across Nottingham, I was excited to see a whole show of the cheery cheeky Scousers’ music; they never fail to cheer me up!

Dead Sara – Rock City BASEMENT – Ticket price £13.00*

In 2015, my absolute favourite band came to the UK from LA for the first time in 3 years, supporting Kill Hannah in a tiny room below Rock City’s main hall. After watching countless videos of them tour America, I HAD to witness them live. Their genre-bending aggressive rock ‘n’ roll energy left me mind-blown and giddy after only a few songs- hence why it’s one of my Nottingham highlights; especially after meeting the band after their set!

*not including booking fees/postage

Posted in University life