June 5, 2013, by Kiran

Freedom in Pictures

At this moment I’m eating a chocolate cookie, dipping it in a cup of tea, sitting in my pyjamas in bed. Can you picture it? It doesn’t take a lot of imagination really but this is my less than adventurous image of freedom.

964380_423094204455316_1310624801_o

It must run in the family though as this week my sister sent me a picture of many a club bar with the caption  ‘Mum’s away and we leave Dad to do the food shop, he comes back with about 12 million Club bars with the justification, “They were only two pounds.”

So food equals freedom. But right now I am experiencing freedom from exams and essays and one by one my housemates have joined me! However, this freedom also means that I can no longer put off unpacking from Easter; I can no longer justify it as procrastination anymore!

Instead of unpacking though (and with the help of good old Flickr) I have decided to attempt to find the perfect image of freedom:

The 'spread your wings and fly' approach

1. The ‘spread your wings and fly’ approach

2. Or if you don't have any wings, just spread your arms out to imply wings...

2. Or if you don’t have any wings, just spread your arms out to imply wings whilst looking out over a landscape…

Seriously! That pose is a really popular one!

Some people have attempted to fly by jumping really high in the air

3. Freedom for sale?

3. Freedom for sale?

Freedom for sale in the form of toilet paper?!

4. Been padlocked to Hallward? Well you have been unchained and I now proclaim you free!

5. The image of freedom that is most likely our reality

Weighing up the options I think the image that most represents the concept that is ‘Freedom’  is (drum roll please) the Club Bar photo.

WINNER

WINNER!!!!

Thanks for your help anyway Flickr but hey that’s the way the cookie crumbles/I dropped my cookie in my tea and now only have the crumbs left.

p.s. I am going to Turkey tomorrow and so will try to replicate the freedom pose perfected by those spreading their arms/jumping in the air. See next week’s blog for the result!

Posted in 2012 Kiran