November 15, 2016, by Emer

5 Ways To Survive The Library

When coming up with this blog post, I was trying to think of interesting things that I’d done this week. Of course, I came up with nothing because for the past week my life has been entirely consumed with trying to keep on top of deadlines and reading. Because of this, I’ve been spending a lot of my time in the library (as a self-proclaimed massive nerd this is not an issue for me) and I’ve gathered some advice about how to make the most of it. (Disclaimer: These tips generally refer to Hallward library but they can be applied to most busy study spaces).

1. Avoid (or get there before) peak times. On weekdays, I find it best to get to the library before 11am if possible because that’s before the masses seem to pile in (my hypothesis is that 11am is the earliest most people would be on campus if they didn’t have to be in a lecture). Another good strategy, if you can bear it, is to go to the library at the weekend – the atmosphere is much more focused and you’re practically guaranteed a good spot

Me trying to find somewhere to sit in Hallward at midday.

2. The laptop loan service in Hallward is an absolute godsend! My laptop is clunky, heavy, and just generally a pain to lug onto campus and the desktop computers in the library are usually snapped up in seconds. However, the laptops which you can borrow for a few hours at a time are a really useful way of getting online work done without having to bring your own laptop to uni.
  3. Bribe yourself! If you really would rather be somewhere else but you have work that needs to get done, make a deal with yourself. “If I finish this essay plan, I can go to Starbucks afterwards and enjoy a hot seasonal beverage.”

I'm going to be honest, most of my self-bribes are coffee and cake based.

I’m going to be honest, most of my self-bribes are coffee and cake based.

4. Create a library playlist! Find the music that motivates you to work but also doesn’t distract you. Personally, I work better with relatively unobtrusive acoustic music but if ‘Eye of the Tiger’ is what floats your revision boat then go for it!
  5. Make use of the silent study areas! This is going to for work for everybody – some people need a lot of ambient noise to be able to focus properly – but the silent study areas (in Hallward these are on third and fourth floors) are an underappreciated resource. They’re usually much less busy than downstairs, so you won’t have to fight for access to a desk or a plug socket, and there are way fewer distractions.
Peace at last!

Peace at last!

Posted in Emer