January 13, 2016, by Joe

The Forgotten Season

The festivities have come to an end, the rain has been torrential and unrelenting, the threat of exams is mentally crushing every student south of Canning Circus. This post is to remind you that not all is lost, there is light at the end of the tunnel, even darkness must pass. And to help soothe those January blues I’m going to share with you some of my favourite things about the forgotten season.

The bracing cold January air, there’s nothing quite like it to help wake you up for those foggy headed 9am lectures. Fresh air and the dappled sunlight through the skeletal limbs of a tree is enough to make your day, almost before it has begun. The winter season also has the added bonus of bringing the dawn to a much more reasonable hour, perfect for those quiet moments of contemplation allowing you to ready yourself for the day ahead. And yes it can be said that watching the sun rise over the industrial terraced student housing isn’t quite as alluring as the rolling hill of my native Somerset, but the most stunning campus in the whole of England more than makes up for it on a daily basis.

One of my fondest memories of the Uni Park Campus is steadily making my way across the downs for my 9am lecture the morning after the first snowfall of the year. Pristine virgin snow covered every surface, untouched by boot or mitten, shining in the cold morning light, it really was a scene that needed to be captured. Unfortunately I had neither the photographic nor artistic talent, plus it was very cold and I was late for a lecture. And if nothing else, the cold helps us to remember the value of warmth, a lesson in appreciation that I for one forget all too often .

Posted in Joe