July 7, 2014, by Olivia

All Grown Up? Not quite..

I am currently in Norwich. No it’s not what you may think, this isn’t a trip to enjoy the seaside and some fish and chips. Though would you blame me if I slipped some of that in during my down time? Anyway, back to my point, this is largely a business trip.

Well.. Kinda. I say business because I am fortunate to have been offered a place on the Boots Summer Placement Programme where I will spend two weeks at a Boot’s Store in Norwich. As a pharmacy student, (or any student really) getting a job in the future requires work experience, the more the better. I applied for this placement back in November and was thrilled to find out in January that I had got it.

I thought I would be the last person to say this but after a hectic year of rushing from one coursework deadline to another, revision and exams; having 3 months to do absolutely nothing seemed foreign. I still find myself going onto Moodle without realising it or waking up thinking I had missed a lecture or a project deadline. I mean this is crazy right? Do any of you experience the same thing?

What I am trying to say is that I am glad to have some form of structure to make the most of my summer holiday to learn something new even if it is only for two weeks. Before the placement I have been tasked to fill in a placement workbook with what I expect to learn from these two weeks. I guess the most important things for me would be to see what a pharmacist really does from day to day and also if working in a community pharmacy is a job I would like to do in the future?

I will just have to wait and see. In the mean time I can’t wait to start work! I feel somewhat grown up having be in professional attire, having a 9 to 5 job, and waking up early to “commute” to work. Actually scratch that last bit, I am not so excited about having to wake up at 6 am..

Hope all of you have a lovely week ahead with lots of sun!

Posted in Olivia