March 26, 2014, by Ollie

The Selfie

In the last few years the selfie has developed from a joke to an actual thing. Not a day goes by where millions of photos aren’t taken by merry teenagers and adults a like, pointing their cameras at themselves. More recently the power of the selfie has done incredible things. The  Ellen DeGeneres Oscar selfie captivated the world and became the most retweeted image ever and instantly one of the most recognisable photos of our generation.

oscarselfie

Even more recently through the power of the selfie an amazing thing has happened. £8 million has been raised for Cancer Research through the #nomakeupselfie and #manupandmakeupselfie that have spread through Facebook and Twitter alike. If you aren’t familiar with this, friends nominate other friends to take a selfie, with no make up on if you are female and make up on if you are male, the selfie is accompanied by a donation to Cancer Research and  then the nominated friends continue the process by nominating others  to do the same , a lot of people were scathing in their initial response to this trend and to put it lightly were very skeptical, myself included, yet in a matter of days when news broke of the money being raised everyone changed their opinions and got on board and through the power of social media, through platforms like this blog something amazing happened and now 10 entire clinical trials can be funded, all from people taking selfies.

Last Friday was the Societies Ball, having found ourselves seated as far away from the stage as possible we took it upon ourselves to entertain ourselves for the evening and here is the result!

The most retweeted photo in the history of BioSoc

The most retweeted photo in the history of BioSoc. I’m pretty sure I conquered the Jennifer Lawrence pose.

We were photographed by the official photographer during a cheeky rendition of “Shoes off if you’re BioSoc”, as a way of licking our wounds as PhysicSoc won Best Departmental Society. Congratulations of course in order.

To continue the photography theme, Sunday, saw BioSoc go to Chester Zoo, an opportunity for many an avid photographer to get some great photos of the  animals. Especially handy for my photography module. At this point I’d show you the amazing photos I took and you’d all go wow and smile. However, that requires amazing photos of which I don’t have any, so I’m afraid you’ll have to suffer through these few OK ones that at least will make the blog look pretty!

Despite being behind bars, this elephant is smiling (well to me it is)

And this cheeky guy cracking a smile for the camera

The other side of captivity, this lioness was pacing restlessly and didn't look happy.

The other side of captivity, this lioness was pacing restlessly and didn’t look happy.

All students are thrilled after going to the zoo.

UoN BioSoc proud sponsors of the Red Pandas.

Catch you next week!

Posted in Ollie