January 16, 2014, by Ben Read

The soundtrack to my revision

I am lucky enough to have already finished exams, but I know a lot of people are still revising, so I won’t go on about it, much! During one of my many procrastination sessions I decided I needed some musical motivation and made a list of my 10 favourite remixes of 2013. So here’s that list and a handy YouTube playlist to help you power through your revision…

10. Love Me Again (Kove Remix) – John Newman

Newman’s infectious number one single gets the once over from upcoming drum & bass star Kove. Certainly one to get the blood pumping and up the words per minute.

9. Look Right Through (MK Dub III) – Storm Queen

Arguably one of the biggest songs of 2013. I imagine there isn’t a single club across the country that didn’t have this song pass through its speaker system last year.

8. If I Lose Myself (Alesso Remix) – One Republic

22 year old Alesso is just one of the many Swedish DJs making great dance music at the moment and this remix just scratches the surface of his talent.

7. Got a Feeling (Bontan Remix, Pleasurekraft edit) – Josh Butler

In a year of when ‘house’ music was in great supply this tune really stood out for me. The vocal will be going round your head all day, but in a good way!

6. Nightcall – London Grammar (Freemasons Remix)

A late but worthy addition to the list, Freemasons take Nottingham Uni’s own London Grammar’s beautiful track Nightcall and adds some oomphh.

5. No Scrubs (Davidian 5a.m. Bootleg) – TLC

If you’ve come to a halt in your revision, whack some headphones on, put this on and turn it up. Nottingham based producer Davidian’s bootleg of the TLC classic will put you right back on track.

4. Wave (MOTi Remix) – Crystal Fighters

One of my favourite bands gets the treatment from Dutch based DJ MOTi. This is such a feel good song and perfect for when your energy dips during an all-nighter.

3. Pompeii (Kat Krazy Remix) – Bastille

There’s something about Bastille that leads to great remixes and Kat Krazy has delivered two of them in 2013 with his edits of Pompeii and Laura Palmer. One of the most played songs on my radio show last year, I do love an indie remix!

2. You & Me (Baauer Remix) – Disclosure

2013 was quite frankly a ridiculous year for Guy and Howard, the brothers that make up Disclosure and as a result there have been a silly amount of remixes of their tunes. There was a lot of hype about Flume’s remix of You & Me but for me it’s all about Baauer’s edit. Just when you think you can’t spent a minute longer in Hallward, this song will make you spend a whole 4 more minutes there.

1. Late Night (Solomun Remix) – Foals

Deep house king Solomun works his magic yet again to create another beauty. Foals’ Mercury Prize nominated album, Holy Fire, was probably my favourite of 2013 so for me this is 8 minutes and 24 seconds of perfection!

I hope these tunes provide the musical motivation you need to power through the rest of the exam period. If nothing else it might have provided you with  a procrastination idea to make the revision more bearable!

Posted in BenUncategorized