November 12, 2013, by Ollie

Birthday Bonanzas

Mid-November is nearly here and with it comes the midpoint of the term and time for a quick reflection! I remember writing in first year about how I felt time was flying and then the next week talking about how I felt I’d been away from home for ages and the term was so long. As a little fresher I was all over the place with my feelings. This year it’s sort of the same. I can’t believe we’re nearly halfway through the term, it has gone so quickly, I’ve survived for close to 2 months now and yet the idea that it is still another month before I go back seems crazy. What could I possibly be doing work wise and life wise that I still have another month of time here.

Reading that back it sounds really stupid, surprisingly I’m not overly fantastic at getting my point across. Ask my housemates and they’ll tell you I sat and deliberated over what I was trying to say for nearly an hour before settling on that last poor attempt.

So what can you fit in another month? I’m sure a lot of things, especially as proved by the last week I’ve just had. I don’t want to show or act that going out is all I do or all students do. It’s a stereotype that bothers me but… when there are birthdays to be celebrated. Going out is definitely the answer.

Tuesday night was Market Bar for my friend Emma’s birthday, it was really good fun and the first time I’ve been there. Something I wish I had done in First year is get out and sample more of Nottingham, including the different nights out that are out there. The post night out pizza also deserves a credible mention. It was divine. Especially that cold leftover slice that can be devoured in the morning and settle that shaky stomach. Here, enjoy some pictures!

not so standard posing.

not so standard posing.

The very next night was my friend Boudicca’s birthday, some cocktails were in order as we headed to Coco Tang for again my first time there. Maybe I should have saved the first time blog for this week? I had a Toblerone Cocktail and fell in love with it… so I had a few more. I found the secret room as well, as my friends showed me it immediately, but it still felt really secretive and awesome!

chocolate in a drink, you cannot go wrong!

Friday was then my friend Joe’s birthday, where else was it to be at but Ocean. It was my first time going… I kid, I have been Ocean many a time. It was a great night and not having to get up the next morning is always a perk, although the majority of us were playing football in a key game against top of the table Raleigh Park. Despite the lingering alcohol we won 3-2 and that left me in a great mood all weekend.

Joe with his housemates on his birthday.

Joe with his housemates on his birthday, who knows where I am!

A mood good enough to see me through to Monday. The birthday of the Wacky Scientist Bar Crawl! (it happens every year at the same time) so it counts as a birthday right? It was a great night and at this moment in time I cannot disclose who won the best Science, but the green army (go green team!) definitely put up a good argument for being so.

smashing victory for Biology in the Tug of War challenge.

The Bio Army

The Bio Army

Hope you enjoyed seeing my mammoth week. I’m definitely feeling the effects still! Next week I have a cheeky feeling I’ll have something interesting to bring you all! Stay tuned!

Posted in Ollie