November 13, 2013, by Sarah
13 emotional states of University
The time of your life.
Or rather, a time in your life.
I find that dictating how you’re “meant” to feel about something is never really helpful. We feel how we feel, then we have to recognise it and handle it and manage it. A typical example is Fresher’s week – it’s so hyped up and many are convinced they have to have to best. time. evarrrr. Or they’re not doing it right.
When actually not acknowledging your own feelings is like saying they don’t matter, when they do. And when you are feeling not so good about something, feeling like that’s the “wrong” way to feel makes things worse, I think.
Which is why I present to you, in no particular order… *drum roll*
The 12 emotional states of University
*kermit flail* Yaaaaayyyy!
2. Euphoria. A piece of work submitted, a great new friend, new hobby, starting to feel like you belong.
3. Despair. Everything is so hard, will I get to where I want to be? Am I capable? Can I fight any longer?
4. Relief. A lecturer explains something well, you realise coursemates are also finding things tricky, you’re not alone.
6. Reluctance. “But I don’t WANT TO”
9. Mania. idfbsoidnw\eifvowbsidlnx\cavbf caffeine fbodufvbeodfdaspdofbvwf deadline efbowgvbwoidna no sleep
12. Progression. Hey…I’m not the same 18 year old, fresh from A levels, when did that happen?
13. Upheaval. Graduation – say what?
Now I think University is a mix of all these things, and more no doubt, and everyone will have a different balance. Which is fine. Any suggestions for what I’ve missed?
I have been flitting about most of these phases this week what with work and all. *Rocks back and forth”
But it’s fine “gets in foetal position”
No really, fourth year is manageable ” wipes Ben and Jerry’s from face”
Anyway, I’ve been enjoying using * writing these blogs 🙂
However I did go for a lush walk to Bradgate park with International students. Seriously, get to know some International students – it’s so interesting to find out about other cultures and meet some truly lovely people. I also saw this absolute babe:
S0 it’s nice to get out of the Uni bubble for a bit 🙂
Have a lovely week everyone!
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first