January 28, 2013, by Shane
UoN Bucket List
It is the 28th January, exams are over, and the well-intended New Year’s resolution gym-goers have crawled back into their couch potato positions. Hopefully, if you’re reading this and I’ve just described you, this blog post may inspire you to get back up and try something BRAND. SPANKING. NEW. during this refreshers’ week.
It may be half way through the year, but the beginning of a semester gives you the opportunity to join that club you wish that you had last semester, or start learning that language you’ve always wanted to, but were too late to sign up for in week nine of semester one. In the spirit of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, I’ve thought of a few things to make your University experience about more than just your degree:
- Be published! Get involved with Impact magazine where you can write a movie review, recommend a recipe, or write a main feature piece. The first step is to attend a meeting for the area of your interest: http://www.impactnottingham.com/get-involved/
- Represent your Uni at a sport! It doesn’t matter if you’re first team or fifth, being part of a team can be one of the best experiences you ever have at Uni. With Varsity approaching, now is the perfect time to join a sports society.
- Experience showbiz! Go along to The Nottingham New Theatre’s AGM this wednesday and find out about how you can get involved both onstage and off.
- Run for a committee! Being on a committee puts you at the centre of student activity, so you can improve the university experience for other students, while enjoying your own. SU elections are coming up soon: http://studentleaderelections.co.uk/the-roles/ or alternatively you could run for a society committee; new committees tend to be elected at the end of semester two
- Learn a language. You could visit the language centre this week to check out your options for learning that language you’ve always wished you could speak: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language-centre/index.aspx
- Volunteer! If you’re looking for something to soothe the soul, the Students Volunteer Centre offer an incredible amount of volunteering opportunities. You can take part in one-off sessions such as making get well cards for children with long term illnesses, or find a regular placement you like such as leading touch rugby sessions. Sign up to the mailing list to find out about the different opportunities every week: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/activities/volunteering/join/
- Try something crazy and quirky … like croquet! When else are you going to have the chance to pretend you’re in Made In Chelsea?
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first