January 2, 2013, by Sarah

A Shiny New Year

Well Christmas has Christmassed, New Year has New Yeared and now it’s 2013: Year of the Elephant (because elephants have long memories and I really need a good memory right now!). To be honest so far I feel like it’s been the Year of the Sloth but maybe organising early (ish) morning revision was optimistic of me. But a girl can dream.

New Years fireworks at Disney - I saw them one year but this isn't my photo because my camera isn't this good

New Years fireworks at Disney – I saw them one year but this isn’t my photo because my camera isn’t that good!

So far my holidays have been:

• Busy – seeing friends, family, working etc., this holiday is always so busy with family commitments and catching up but that’s nice as well!
  • Food-filled – I love Christmas cooking.  I cook a lot of the meals when I’m home and this year for Christmas dinner I did these potatoes each with a sage leaf in them and they were yummy – mmmmm sage. Fiddly but worth it.
Nom.

Nom.

• Undulating between fun and restful to fraught and stressful (hey it rhymes!).  I didn’t really do any work before Christmas when I intended to start as soon as I got back. But I realised I was exhausted. Once I realised this and let myself rest it was better – sometimes what you ideally want to do isn’t the best thing. Beside,  all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and Sarah a sad girl. Balanced life, balanced work, balanced diet: I’m sensing a theme here…

5 Life food groups: Work, play, rest, quality time with those you love and foods high in fat and sugar

I don’t really have a New Year’s resolution per se because I think if you want to do something, and it’s worth doing, then you should instigate it irrespective of what time of year it is. Although saying that it is a nice idea to start a New Year well, to learn from the previous year and have a fresh start. My Church is doing a fasting period in January so I shall probably fast something for that but not sure what yet!

I can’t really believe it’s 2013 anyway – the main thing I’m excited/ worried about when I think of this year is my 12 week hospital placement in the summer. I loved my placement in first year but this one has much more to do with way more responsibility with REAL ill people, not students pretending to be ill. WOAH. And it’s this year! CRAZY.

Well I wish everyone a truly excellent 2013, with many beautiful moments!

Posted in Sarah