December 29, 2012, by Gemma

Riding in a one-horse sleigh

It’s been 3 days since Christmas. The only remnants are a white Christmas tree that probably won’t be taken down for another couple of months, and the memories. In the run-up to Christmas I wasn’t very excited. I don’t mean to sound like a scrooge, but this year the Christmas period seemed like any other holiday. My friend made a good point that this is now our 20th Christmas, so it’s understandable not to feel too ‘Christmassy’.

Luckily, I got more in the mood when Christmas day actually came. Especially as unlike other years, my mum’s cousin and his family came to stay for Christmas lunch. Their kids were so adorable and polite, and I loved watching the smiles on their faces as they opened their Xmas presents from us.

Christmas day

My family and I went to Church in the morning and then went home to start cooking. I was in charge of the roast potatoes. It was apparent that I hadn’t boiled them long enough before popping them in the oven, so they took forever to roast! First fail of the day. After a few gruelling hours in the kitchen, Christmas dinner was ready. We ate lamb, chicken, roast potatoes, jollof & fried rice with vegetables, and sausages wrapped in bacon. You might be thinking: “No turkey?! Sacrebleu”. But we have never had turkey at Christmas, and probably never will because my parents don’t like turkey. Everyone was merry. I was food drunk. This is when you eat so much food you feel drunk… Story of my life.

Setting the table

Setting the table

Yummy

Yummy

We watched the Disney film Tangled, during which at some point I fell asleep. Later on I woke up to my arm being pulled by one the kids who wanted to play Guitar Hero. I hadn’t played it in so long, and before I knew it I was guitar-rocking to classics like ‘Welcome to the Jungle’. What a mistake I had made to pick up that fake guitar, as now I can’t stop playing it! Bye bye revision.

After our guests left, we went to my cousin’s house to continue the festivities. My cousin’s daughter (who is about 4) had gotten a car that she can sit in and drive. It’s literally the best thing ever! And no, I’m not too big to drive it. When I proclaimed I was going to buy one for myself, everyone looked at me and laughed. But I was dead serious. Awkward…

Winter Wonderland

Tonight my friend and I went into London for a Lebanese dinner. Their mixed shawarma wrap is absolutely mouth-watering.

Afterwards, we checked out Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. It is a massive site full of rides, bright lights and even a carousel bar!     Everyone looked so happy as they bopped to the MC’s rendition of ‘Gangsta’s Paradise’.

Winter wonderland hyde park (1)

Winter Wonderland

Bright lights

Bright lights

As for revision, it’s going okay. Luckily, I’m not the type to freak out about exams, even when my friend tells me he’s gone through all his lecture notes already. He must be superman…

See you next Friday!

🙂

Posted in 2012 Gemma