December 15, 2012, by Gemma

Viral Videos

There has been a lot of talk about the norovirus in the media recently, also known as the ‘winter vomiting bug’. It’s all a bit depressing really. Nevertheless, ‘virus’ is the inspiration behind this blog, but the “good” kind…VIRAL VIDEOS!

Within each year of University, a new viral video seems to appear out of nowhere. Said video plagues conversations, Facebook, and general news. “OMG, Have you seen…”…”It’s so bad but so good”…”Where do they find these people?” So here is a run-down of the viral videos from my time at University.

Fresher’s year

Yep, Rebecca “which seat can I take” Black! (44.9 million views)

This is one of those ‘so bad it’s good’ ones. Not just because it’s really catchy and with easy to learn lyrics, but Rebecca Black genuinely seems to love Friday! And who can blame her right? Who doesn’t love the day before the weekend begins.

On the other hand, she seems to find it necessary to tell us the order of the days, you know, just in case we forget that “Sunday comes afterwardssss” Saturday. And don’t even get me started on the rapper in the middle of the song. I truly find him baffling because it is unclear where he is going. If he is meant to be chaperoning the party, he is running late! The party has already started! So maybe the song should be about efficient time keeping? Perhaps a ‘Friday Part II’ is imminent…

Second year

These two girls sing about the tough life they have as “hot girls” who have problems too, just like you, except they’re hot. (16.3 million views)

Again, I praise the songwriter(s) for developing such a catchy tune and providing my housemates and I with some entertainment. I also love their accent when they say ‘problems’…reminds me of Amanda Bynes’ show on Nickelodeon from back in the day.

My biggest dislike is that it is set in one place. I have a thing about music videos set in one place, don’t know why, I just do! Furthermore, they obviously have never tried to walk up Portland Hill when there’s 80mph wind blowing in your face. Now there’s a real problem!

Final year

A mate showed me this a few weeks ago. (89.6 million views)

I’m not sure what to say about it, except.. nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan…

There is also a 10 hour version on YouTube… (why??????)

Thank God it’s Friday!

Posted in 2012 Gemma