Just Play logo

September 13, 2021, by brzbs1

Discover Just Play

Our Just Play (formerly Engage) programme launches on Monday 4 October and offers a flexible way for undergraduate and post graduate students to try out new sports and meet new friends in a fun and friendly environment.

Just Play Sessions are open to all regardless of skill or ability and with a wide range of sports to choose from, there really is something for everyone! You can attend as many sessions as you wish, with no weekly commitment to attend. We’ve spoken to a couple of students to find out why YOU should get involved and #FindYourActive! You can read about their Just Play experiences at the university below.

“My experience with Just Play (formerly Engage) has been amazing. I’ve met people from so many different sport related backgrounds that I wouldn’t have done so otherwise. Getting a chance to look into the many sessions UoN Sport puts on as Just Play sessions allowed me and many of my friends to try out new sports and meet other like minded people. Just Play showcases more than 25 different sports across David Ross Sports Village, Jubilee and Sutton Bonington and has many inclusive activities too. Trampolining and Wheelchair Basketball are my favourite inclusive Just Play sessions and I would definitely recommend new and current students get involved because it is such a nice way to let off some steam in between busy Uni life, and have some fun!”
Simone Niceta Luis

“When I first arrived in Nottingham, I had absolutely no intention of getting involved with sports while at university. Despite this though, I found myself at a Just Play session less than a month later, sat astride a horse for the first time in years, happily hacking away and wondering why on earth I had ever stopped riding. I also went to a Tennis session, and discovered much to my dismay, that I am definitely not Wimbledon material – although this hasn’t stopped me dragging my family out to my local tennis courts during lockdown to play. The sessions themselves gave a real insight into the sports without asking for anything more than enthusiasm from the participants. Every single committee member and volunteer made us feel safe and welcome, as well as ensuring we enjoyed our time there.

To be completely honest, I didn’t return to the Tennis club, but I did choose to join the Equestrian society. That’s the point of Just Play- I felt totally welcome and at ease to enjoy myself as a complete newcomer and was able to choose myself whether I wanted to continue with the sport. As a child I’d always felt that I wasn’t ‘built’ or ‘right’ for sports, and yet after trying sports at Uni, I felt empowered enough to join a gym for the first time in my life and found a new love for Powerlifting and more recently, swimming. The pandemic has meant that I haven’t been able to get involved with nearly as many things as I’d like to, but it’s safe to say that when I get back this September, I’ll be signing up for many more Just Play sessions.

I could not recommend more that new and returning students get involved with Just Play – it’s the perfect way to try new sports, make new friends, and keep fit and healthy. Not only that, but it’s affordable, and accessible to all regardless of membership, ability or experience. Personally, through engaging in sports through Uni, one of my biggest insecurities has turned into a great source of happiness and self-esteem, and I couldn’t be more grateful that I chose to attend a university with such an incredible and supportive sports department.”
Georgina Podd

Make sure you check out the Just Play programme here and get involved with all that you can. It’s fun, friendly, flexible and really does have something for everyone! You can also find out everything you need to know about our Welcome Fair and Welcome Activities by visiting our Welcome page.

Posted in EngageStudents