March 4, 2019, by Charlotte Gauja

Inspiring Females | Disability Sport

This BUCS inclusion week, we’re running a series of blogs featuring inspiring females in sport from across all departments. Clare Stephenson-Hunter is a third year Social Work student here at the university and is currently on her full-time placement.

“I attend the gym to help manage my arthritic and mental health conditions. I enjoy weightlifting, boxfit and attend the occasional body pump classes.”

“I got involved in Disability Sport by getting to know Hannah Webber, and was approached to become involved in talking to Physio/Sports Rehab students about how sport helps me manage my conditions. Due to this involvement and becoming aware of the SU Disabled student officers I then became more involved with them and got myself voted as the Disabled Student Officer for 2018/19 late last year.”

“The highlight of my year so far was being voted Disabled Student Officer and nominated as a UoN inspirational woman of the year.”

“I am looking forward to completing my degree and moving to Oxford with my wife who has just been offered a job at the university. This is where I hope to achieve my goal of becoming a social worker.”

“This BUCS This Girl Can Week, I hope to attend the women-only lifting clinics if they are at times which fit in with my placement. Having a disability does not mean women with a disability cant, us girl can and will.  A disability just means we have to approach things a little differently to others. For instance my wife, who has no vision, runs half-marathons by having the support of a guide runner who runs alongside her holding a tether.

If you would like to be added to the waiting list for the Girls-Only Lifting Clinic, follow the link to our Facebook event here.

We’re running loads of events this BUCS This Girl Can Week, from our Girls-Only Campus Run to our esteemed Girls’ Night In on Sunday the 10th March! For more information, make sure you’ve liked the Engage Facebook page.