June 29, 2023, by Postgraduate Placements Nottingham

Create. Connect. Collaborate.

Mahima Udani, a postgraduate in Nottingham University Business School, on her Researcher Academy placement with Innovate UK’s Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP).

Mahima

I’d always hoped for an internship that would not only challenge me professionally but also provide valuable insights and experiences. Little did I know that my six-month journey as a Marketing Consultancy Intern with Innovate UK’s Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) at the University of Nottingham would exceed all my expectations. In this blog post, I want to share my story, the unexpected moments, and the lessons I learned during this incredible opportunity.

It began in January 2023 when I joined the KTP team at the University of Nottingham. The KTP’s primary goal was to increase awareness of a national graduate brand among university students. As a Marketing Consultancy Intern, I had the privilege of collaborating with university professional services and outside contractors to achieve this objective.

Throughout my internship, I faced various challenges and gained invaluable experiences. One of my primary responsibilities was to support the KTP team with market research on other KTP projects and industry trends. This task allowed me to explore different sectors, understand market dynamics, and identify potential opportunities for our brand. Additionally, I had the opportunity to contribute to running pilot campaigns on social media platforms. These campaigns aimed to enhance the brand’s identity and establish a brand ambassador role for future KTP ambassadors. As the KTP representative for all the students who came to visit, I also went to graduate fairs. Within a few months, I went from attending these job fairs to hunt for a job, to being the one telling other students about jobs. That was my KTP experience.

“While the internship had its fair share of challenges, the satisfaction I gained from overcoming them was immeasurable. “

Working with Innovate UK’s KTP program brought many unexpected surprises. What fascinated me the most was the exposure to the diverse range of industries involved in the program. From technology and healthcare to manufacturing and sustainability, KTP projects spanned across various sectors. This exposure broadened my perspectives and challenged my preconceived notions about different industries.

Reflecting on my journey, I can’t help but feel a sense of accomplishment and growth. While the internship had its fair share of challenges, the satisfaction I gained from overcoming them was immeasurable. I believe that the most important aspect of any experience is not just what we do but how we express what it meant to us. This internship taught me resilience, adaptability, and the importance of maintaining a positive mindset even in the face of obstacles.

Advice, Tips, and Reflections:

Based on my experience, I would like to share some advice, tips, and reflections for future interns or anyone considering a similar opportunity:

• Embrace every challenge: Challenges are opportunities in disguise. Approach them with enthusiasm, as they will help you grow both personally and professionally.
  • Be open to unexpected experiences: Keep an open mind and be willing to explore new industries and perspectives. You never know where these experiences might lead you.
  • Connect with people: Networking is crucial. Take the initiative to connect with professionals, peers, and potential mentors. These relationships can open doors to future opportunities.
  • Celebrate achievements, big or small: Acknowledge and celebrate your accomplishments throughout the internship. Each milestone reached or lesson learned is a step forward in your personal and professional development.

My internship with Innovate UK’s Knowledge Transfer Partnership at the University of Nottingham was a great experience. Through collaboration, market research, social media campaigns, and outreach programs, I had the opportunity to contribute to the growth and awareness of the KTP brand among university students and the team I worked with was very supportive of me in this endeavour. In addition to being encouraging, my reporting manager fostered a relationship with me that will allow me to refer to her in the future as my mentor. As I look back on my time with KTP, I am grateful for the lessons learned and the memories created.

Excellence Through Experience: Why do a Researcher Academy placement?

Posted in PlacementsResearcher AcademyResearcher MobilityUncategorized