December 20, 2018, by NUBS Postgraduate Careers

12 Postgraduate Careers Facts for Christmas!

In the countdown to the festive period we’d like to share our 12 Postgraduate Careers Facts for Christmas.

You might just find there’s more to us than you think!……..

1) 18 years and still going strong

The Postgraduate Careers Team provides a specialist careers service for MSc, MBA and PhD Business School students and graduates. We have been established for over 18 years.

2) 80 years = our combined expertise

Your Postgraduate Careers Team has a combined total of 80 years of expertise in the careers, recruitment and HR sectors so you’re in good hands!

Hopefully you know who we are by now but if not (in the order of the photograph above): Clare Simcock and Tim Orton our Postgraduate Careers Officers, Julie Blant (Manager), Teresa Corcoran (Postgraduate Careers Consultant) and Ewan Henry (Employer Relations Consultant).

3) Professional Recognition

We hold a number of professionally recognised qualifications between us. These include qualifications in Careers Education & Guidance, Coaching, Human Resource Management, Teaching and Psychometric Assessments and therefore we have memberships of organisations such as the Chartered Institute for Personnel Development, British Psychological Society and Institute of Leadership and Management.

All careers staff within the Postgraduate Careers Team and the wider University Careers and Employability Service are members of AGCAS . This is, and continues to be the recognised professional body for Higher Education careers and employability professionals. All professional careers staff employed by the University can be found here .

4) Postgraduate Student Expertise

We have all been specialising in working with postgraduate students for a number of years and nationally, your Postgraduate Careers Manager, Julie Blant is chair of a UK-wide task group that specialises in supporting postgraduate students.

5) International Student Expertise

Teresa Corcoran, your Postgraduate Careers Consultant, chairs a University working group focusing on careers work with International Students. Teresa also plays a key role in the work of the Midlands International Group which is made up of 17 universities.

Clare Simcock, one of our Postgraduate Careers Officers, previously worked in the Centre for English Language Education (CELE) so has a wealth of experience in supporting international students.

6) Working in Partnership with Employers

Our Employer Relations Consultant, Ewan Henry, sits on the Board of Directors for the MBA Careers Service and Employer Alliance . This is an organisation aimed at connecting business school careers services and employers interested in MBA and Masters students.

We work with a number of local, national and international organisations to promote our talented students and connect you with relevant opportunities.

7) Connections in Asia and many other places!

We have been active in China for several years with company visits, student treks and a returning students careers fair. The next fair is in Shanghai in April 2019.

We also work closely with our Business School and Careers colleagues at the University of Nottingham China and University of Nottingham Malaysia.

Networking events and our alumni community have enabled us to build connections with businesses in many other parts of the world. For example in the UK, wider Europe, US, Middle East, India, Africa plus many more!

8) Employment Success

Tim Orton is our data expert and tells us that on average 83%* of all our MSc graduates have job offers within 6 months of completing their course whilst others go on to study a PhD or start their own business.

• *based on reported destinations of our home, EU and international graduates from 2015, 2016, 2017

9) Placement success

Three of our MSc students have just been successful in securing a short-term placement through Postgraduate Placements Nottingham  and 43 postgraduates from the Business School have been placed through this scheme since Sept 2017.

10) What we do works!

We have permission to use these quotes from the students/graduates that have provided them:

“I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the whole Business Postgraduate Careers team for your precious guidance, valuable suggestions and constant support. Without your help I would not have found my dream job” (Chen, MSc Business & Management 2018)

“Teresa helped me prepare for the interview. That was very helpful. She guided me through several potential questions and at the end gave feedback to all my answers. It was a 1-on-1 skype call that took at least one hour.  The interview was very demanding, but I handled the questions very well as I was perfectly prepared. In the end, I got the job.” (Patrick, MSc Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Management 2018)

“I could not be happier to recommend Teresa for a career consultant. Being a foreign postgraduate student in the UK I found amazing support by her. During my MSc year I learnt numerous things thanks to Teresa as she was always next to us keeping students updated and offering a lot of helpful material.” (Vasileios, MSc Finance & Investment 2018)

“When undertaking my Masters at University of Nottingham Business School, Teresa worked with the team to organise a wide range of activities and workshops which benefited me and many of my colleagues. As a result, I was able to get a placement and an internship…………I feel more motivated and confident in my job seeking.” (Yanmei, MSc Business & Management 2018)

““I really love the career services team. Thank you so much for the support and I enjoyed your lectures a lot. The interview went really well. I got into the final round with the other 2 candidates out of 50.” (Wendy, MSc Finance & Investment 2018)

11) We’ve got some great sessions coming up for you in Semester 2!

Along with some employer led sessions these will include:

• LinkedIn “Tip and Tricks” – how to set up an effective profile and use it well
  • Interview Skills
  • Career planning – “Help I still don’t know what I want to do!”
  • International students  – Tips for finding UK based work and work experiences (with some students from last year who are now working)
  • Teamwork – Ensure you are making the most of team based projects
  • Alumni Talk – Making the most of your network
  • How your personality affects your career choices
  • Entrepreneurship with the Ingenuity Lab – A session led by the Ingenuity Lab manager Terri Holloway explaining the support available to you
  • Leadership – Know your leadership style and how to use it

There will also be several employer led events with sector insights on areas which could include: Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, Consulting, Supply Chain etc. Please let us know if there is anything you would really love us to cover in the sessions. We are open to suggestions to tailor our support to you!

12) Booking a careers consultation is easy

Want to book an appointment? Email us: BusinessPCS@nottingham.ac.uk or call in to A72 Business School North. We will be closed due to the Christmas and New Year period between 12.00 noon on Friday 21 December and 9.00am Wednesday 2 January. In the meantime don’t forget about all the careers resources you have access to on Moodle.

Seasons Greetings.

We look forward to seeing you in 2019!

Posted in Business SchoolInternationalPostgraduate