April 6, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Naoyen from South Korea

Naoyen is a South Korean student who is studying MSc Human Computer Interaction

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

Mainly because of the faculty and research outputs from the HCI scholars in University of Nottingham. Plus, Nottingham is a pretty city to live in!

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

So many, but I would definitely applaud he facilities. They are great (labs, libraries, food courts), the campus is absolutely gorgeous. My favourite would be the computer lab! Has all the latest software for my courses.

What is the best thing about your course?

My classes are very fun (yes, believe it or not I literally laugh out loud at least once every class), and my professors have a computer science related Youtube channel called “Computerphile”. It has millions of views from worldwide and I am a huge fan.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

Serene…and green! It is a beautiful campus and has loads of students from all over the world.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I normally go to the gym on my free time. I also enjoy shopping in city center, or if I have a weekend free I love doing picnics to nearby National Trusts. You can easily find me searching for hidden gems in between the streets of Nottingham too.

What societies have you got involved with?

I am currently a regular member of Hacksoc, Fintech society as well as Pole dance society! It’s great fun to be involved in all three.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

I lived in all the big cities all my life– Seoul, San Francisco, New York City so I wanted to be slightly away from the metropolitan jungle but not too away from convenience factor. Nottingham is just the right amount of city for me. Quiet but has all the necessities!

What is your experience so far of the University of Nottingham?

Fantastic. It’s better than I hoped for. People are sincerely kind, my peers are absolutely eager to learn (which is a huge motivation factor) and the faculty members are top tier.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I actually live off campus on private rent. I love my flat since I live by myself in the city center – but it does take a lot of maintenance and planning/researching in advance (i.e. budget, neighborhood safety, ease of transportation)

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham?

I’ve learned that I can make so much out of being a student in University of Nottingham, but only if you act on it. Studying for my courses are important, but the experience of living as a student in Nottingham is also something special. Societies, volunteer work, hanging out with new friends are also important to me, so finding a balance and looking out for new opportunities are always on my to-do list.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

I aspire to be a product manager in an IT firm upon graduation. I used to be in FMCG product marketing for 5 years before starting my masters, so hoping to connect the dots.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Relax a bit, don’t take everything too seriously and take/make the time to know what opportunities are ahead of you. There is so many things that can be done in a year, but it doesn’t all have to be at the same time or as soon as possible.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors