June 4, 2021, by International students

What it means to be a UoN international sports scholar

Faiza and her friend, a Lacrosse scholar from the United States

Faiza Zafar talks about her experience as a sports scholar at the University of Nottingham. Faiza is currently studying towards a PhD in Business whilst continuing to play squash professionally.

I am Faiza Zafar and I am one of the sports scholars at the University of Nottingham. I am very passionate about squash and was the National Women Champion of Pakistan before coming to the UK. As a professional squash player from Pakistan, I was looking at different universities across the UK hunting for a university that offered a platform where student athletes are supported to become the future stars in their respective sport. I had heard about University of Nottingham from professional players across the world, but it was only when I came to the David Ross campus that I realised that it was a grand version of what I had dreamt about.

Faiza Zafar and a winner's trophy in squash

Faiza with a trophy she has won at the University of Nottingham.

I still remember scrolling on the Department of sports website at UoN and looking at the scholars from all around the world competing at 25 different sports, representing University of Nottingham. I was also very impressed with all the athlete support services that the university was offering to develop its athletes which included a financial support towards training and competition expenses, UoN sports and fitness membership, nutrition and psychology guides. It was then I decided that I wanted to be part of the sports scholar community at Nottingham. I can safely and happily say that it was one of the best decisions of my life and here I am, sharing to you about it!

With a tailored training program that has goals and targets I have been enjoying training more than ever before. I felt very proud the day I walked into the court to receive my winner’s trophy with the scholar jacket. The best part of being a scholar athlete is all the other scholars I was able to meet and be friends with! Here is a picture of me and another scholar (Lacrosse scholar from America) The experience I got from representing UoN and the memories I have made during my time as a sports scholar is something I will cherish for the rest of my life!

My upcoming goal is the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham. Wish me luck! ☺

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsScholarshipsSocieties