February 20, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Eriko from Bangladesh

Why did you choose to study your specific course and what are your favourite aspects of the course so far?

I have a bit more than 4 years of experience of working with start-ups and innovation, which led me to pursue the MSc in Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Management programme. I was working with talented game and app developers who were keen to launch products with the telecommunication firm I worked for, and I had also started a lifestyle blog and content creation business called “Slick Lifestyle” with some friends. I had previously majored in Accounting and International Business, but my line of work was completely different, so it felt like this degree was made for me! I love how the programme has the right mix of theory and practice—we have a number of guest lecturers who speak about their personal experiences in various aspects of entrepreneurship. We have at least one group project for each module, and working with students from such diverse backgrounds definitely enhances your understanding of the subject matter. I also enjoy the flexibility that some of the modules have; it’s interesting to see the wide range of ideas that come out of a single topic. The course definitely keeps us on our toes!

How do you hope your course will impact on your future career?

One of the reasons I chose to pursue an MSc after getting some work experience was to familiarise myself with the academic knowledge behind my line of work. I feel that this programme will significantly improve my ability to take the right strategic decisions in my career and will also help me expand my business in the future.

What was your experience of arriving in the UK/in Nottingham?

I have always lived in densely populated capital cities, and Nottingham is just so peaceful in comparison. It has the European charm of cute houses with gardens, friendly people, and gorgeous landscapes. I was warned about the dreary weather but to my surprise, it has actually been quite pleasant and sunny for the most part since I’ve arrived. It’s also a relief to be in a country where English is the primary language. I feel like I fell in love with Nottingham right away!

What has been your experience of making friends with people from other countries?

Despite knowing that the University of Nottingham was awarded the most international university of the year, I was surprised by the diversity in my course! We have students from every continent except Antarctica. It reminds me a bit of my experience in an international school growing up, and I find it quite interesting how people from different parts of the globe can be so similar. The digitalisation of the world means that people are exposed to similar topics no matter where they live, and we are more aware about different cultures, making it easier to become friends with those from other nationalities. Most people have been friendly and open-minded, as well as smart and funny!

What are your tips for making friends and adapting to cultural differences?

I would say being open-minded and friendly is extremely important. It is also good to be mindful of the fact that not everyone was exposed to the same things growing up, and some topics are particularly sensitive for others. The university has many societies where you can meet people who are interested in the same activities as you are, and I think that it is a great way to meet people! There are a variety of socials and mixers organised by the Student Union, especially for international students. In fact, I became acquainted with some of my closest friends in Nottingham through a postgraduate Facebook group chat that was created by another student. I met several people from my course through a WhatsApp chat that was set up by someone else.

If you were awarded a scholarship, please give details of the scholarship and the impact it has had on your studies

I was awarded the Nottingham University Business School Dean’s Scholarship for Excellence due to my high GPA in my undergraduate degree. All students that have been offered a place at the university are automatically considered for this scholarship, so there are no additional steps for the student. This scholarship was one of the deciding factors for me to choose to quit my job and pursue higher education.

How was your experience of finding accommodation – why did you choose to live where you live and what are the best aspects of it?

I accepted my offer to the University of Nottingham in July, which is very late. I knew that most of the postgraduate halls are completely booked as early as March, so I was worried about not finding a place to stay on campus. The university has an accommodation guarantee for all students who apply by the end of July, so I was allotted a room in a student hall that is not owned by but is affiliated with the university. It is located less than ten minutes away from Jubilee Campus, where all my lectures are held, and a fifteen-minute bus ride from the city centre. My flat has six single bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchen/dining room. I am happy with my flatmates, as I have definitely learnt a lot from them. It’s nice to have friends to hang out with when you come home after a long day, and it’s also fun learning about the different food habits of people around the world! Another great thing about this accommodation is its proximity to Tesco, Lidl, Subway, and Dominos.

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors