February 22, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Nina from South Africa

My name is Nina Gamsu and I am currently a second year student studying economics and Politics from South Africa.

Why did you choose to study your specific course and what are your favourite aspects of the course so far?

I chose to study Economics and Politics because growing up in South Africa the political climate always played a pivotal role in the choices my family and I made in a variety of topics. I love the subjects I am studying because not only do I learn the theoretical applications to politics and economics but also a practical approach. I am able to study current affairs in topics such as Brexit and the European Union from both a political and an economical perspective. My lectures are interesting and informative and my lecture and seminar tutors are always helpful.

How do you hope your course will impact on your future career?

I think my future career will hopefully be in the commercial sector and my degree will impact it to a large extent. Economics being an analytical way to interpret and make decisions and politics due to the ever changing political climates that surround all decisions made all over the world. Studying these two majors will allow me to be able to react and make decisive decisions in the most efficient and effective manner.

Describe your experience of the teaching on your course at the University of Nottingham

The teaching I have experienced at the University of Nottingham has been exceptional. Lecturers are well informed and interesting and the topics taught always encourage debate and participation. My seminar teachers are always helpful and interesting with a variety of life experiences as well as a love for the subjects they teach.

What attracted you to the UK?

I was attracted to the UK because of the student life the University of Nottingham offered me. I wanted to be able to live on campus and have a university experience which I was unable to have back at home. When I came to look at universities, the beautiful green campus of the University of Nottingham was a big draw for me as it showed me a glimpse of what my time at this University would entail. I have loved my time at University and am confident I made the right decision with my choice to come and study here.

How has your experience of finding accommodation – why did you choose to live where you live and what are the best aspects of it?

When I started at the University of Nottingham I lived in a catered hall on campus, Ancaster Hall. I loved my time in halls as it was the place where I made the best friends. Everyone living together in the same environment and sharing meals together allowed me to form close friendships with people fairly quickly and I know the friends I made in halls will be friends for life. Living in halls also allowed me to experience university life to the fullest. Although not everything is perfect (the food!) halls was an amazing way to start university. I am currently in my second year at the University of Nottingham and am no longer living in halls but rather in a student house in the Lenton area. I am living with six other girls, all friends I made in halls and I am currently loving it. It has been an incredible experience to live in a house with friends and the lessons it has taught me are unparalleled.

How have you adapted to the climate?

Growing up in South Africa I was always used to hot summers and winters so mild they hardly even registered as winter. My first winter in the United Kingdom was definitely a shock for me. Not only was it freezing it also got dark at four in the afternoon. The first few weeks were agonising. It felt like midnight by dinner time and I couldn’t leave my room without four layers and a coat (which I had never owned before). However I learnt pretty quickly to adapt to this new climate. Coats become a necessity and it was not unusual to wear so many layers to lectures that it felt like my clothes needed their own chair.  The snow was also a cultural shock for me but the fun that can be had in the snow allowed me to overlook the freezing temperatures needed to bring it about snowball fights, sledding and even an igloo are all interesting snow filled activities that take place in Nottingham when it starts to snow.

Describe your experience of the University of Nottingham in terms of safety

Johannesburg, South Africa is not known for being the safest city in the world and I came to the United Kingdom expecting it to be some utopia where nothing bad ever happens to anyone. Although my idealistic approach was quickly shut down with a few horror stories I have always felt completely safe in Nottingham and especially at the university. Even in the dark I have never found to campus to be an environment where I have felt threatened or scared. And although the city of Nottingham is a not known as safe it has always been a place where I have never felt threatened to walk around or to venture to even by myself. The city has its own unique charms with the castle and the beautiful town hall building. The Christmas market in the winter and the events and water features in the summer are charming and possess their own delightful style which makes living and studying in the United Kingdom all the more fun.

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors