November 27, 2020, by abrierley

Commercial Law Centre & School of Law Internship Partnership with World Bank Group

Intern Feedback by Margaux Seeuws (LLM)

• Please tell us about your placement organisation and the role you undertook?

I joined the Insolvency and Debt Resolution team of the World Bank Group on September 1st for a 3 month-internship. Although I was not able to travel to Washington DC and meet members of the team in person due to Covid-19, I received a warm welcome from all the members of the team.

I was very much involved in the different projects of the team and I got to follow several projects from start to finish which was great! This involved commenting on draft insolvency laws, conducting extensive research for project documentation, assisting in drafting technical notes and reports, participating in meetings with relevant stakeholders.

The team has been very active these last months given the challenges faced by client countries due to the Covid-19 crisis. This enabled me to track the evolution in crisis responses from our client countries but also to follow the development of crisis resolution-instruments by the team.

In the last month of my internship, as I became increasingly familiar with the work of the insolvency team, I was entrusted to work autonomously on various projects, including taking a first-cut at drafting reports. Finally, I participated in a webinar on the last week of my internship where we accompanied one of our client countries in the implementation of its new insolvency law by focusing on capacity building solutions. This was very exciting!

One advantage of working remotely has been that I was able to take part in a large number of meetings with clients from around the world via Visio conference, in Webinars and brainstorming sessions with the team and experts, which would not have happened to the same extent under normal circumstances.

“Margaux on placement in The Legislative and Regulatory forum organised by the World Bank and INSOL (International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals)”

• Please tell us how you discovered this placement and the applications process?

I initially became aware of the placement through an advertisement of the School of law. In addition, my professor of International Aspects of Corporate Law and Insolvency, Irit Mevorach, put forward this opportunity during one of our classes.

The application process was quite straightforward, with applicants required to submit a CV, cover letter and academic paper to the School of Law. I personally spent a lot of time on my cover letter to tailor it to the internship. In that regard, I would recommend sticking to the placement description to make sure you can demonstrate that you are a good fit for the role. In addition, I went on the World Bank’s website to get a better idea of the Insolvency and Debt Resolution team’s role and the projects they were involved in.

Once I was notified that I got shortlisted for the interview, I prepared for the interview. I started by conducting extensive research on the World Bank Group to be able to demonstrate interest for its work during the interview. To help me through the process, I also booked an appointment with the careers centre. I was put in touch with Lucie Whitfield, a careers adviser who was great support in preparation of the interview. Thanks to the tips Lucie gave me and the mock interview she organised, I went into the interview with much more confidence. I definitely recommend engaging with the careers centre, it’s always good to boost confidence before the interview. Also, remember that non-legal skills are as important (ability to work with a team, show leadership etc.) as legal skills.

For this particular placement, I would also recommend closely following developments in the field of insolvency and recent projects conducted by the World Bank, this may help you stand out!

• What did you enjoy most on placement at the World Bank and how do you feel it benefited you?

This internship has been a unique opportunity to come across a wide range of legal systems. Deep diving into several legal orders has enabled me to have a grasp of different legal traditions and learn how to apprehend certain issues depending on the country context. As a student wishing to pursue a career in International Commercial Law, this will help me greatly if I am to advise clients from around the world and work on multi-jurisdictional cases.

Moreover, I very much enjoyed the diversity of the team’s work giving me the opportunity to work on projects involving different stakeholders (governmental agencies, financial institutions, private sector) which helped me acquire a clear comprehension of different interests at stake.

• Please give us an example of any learning or self-development whilst on placement?

One of the biggest challenges I feel was learning to trust myself. You are given large responsibilities and I remember at the beginning of my internship putting immense pressure on myself because I did not feel capable of assuming these responsibilities. It’s good to take a step back, try to reflect on your work and pay close attention to feedback. As I became more confident, I realized the quality of my work improved, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself!

• Do you have any advice for future interns interested in careers and placements at the World Bank or in a similar field?

I would definitely recommend closely following developments in insolvency. In the context of the Covid-19 crisis, you will see a lot of countries undertaking major reforms to their insolvency frameworks and innovative mechanisms to overcome the crisis will emerge. Becoming familiar with global trends and how the WB has been assisting countries to face the challenges brought by the crisis will be a good preparation for the start of your internship.

If you have been selected for the placement, first of all congratulations, secondly remember to be proactive and engage with the team as much as you can!

Whether it will be a remote or an in-person internship, just know that the University of Nottingham and the team are supportive and comprehensive, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any concerns.

Finally, ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE! It is very rewarding, and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in insolvency law and is considering an international career.

Posted in Global Placement Grant