July 28, 2020, by Charlotte Gauja

Meet Our Sports Officer: Josie Jessop

Each year the University of Nottingham Student Union elects an individual to represent and positively impact student sport at Nottingham. Josie Jessop was successfully elected, we caught up with Josie to find out what she is most looking forward to:

“Hello, I’m Josie and I’m Sports Officer this academic year!”

What inspired you to run for Sports Officer?

“I have always been at my happiest playing sport, football being my favourite since the age of 7. Despite suffering with injuries throughout school, I decided to play at university and it was one of (if not the) best decisions I ever made. I secured a place on a BUCs team and started playing futsal. Looking beyond my club, I became involved with the coaching and volunteering opportunities in the Sports Department. I became social secretary of the University of Nottingham Women’s Football and Futsal Club in my second year and then went on to be president in my third. It was my work on the committee that inspired to me to go for the role of sports officer. I realised, I’d love the opportunity to help other students have the same positive experience I had within sport. Personally, I am beyond grateful for the opportunities that sport has created throughout my life and university experience. I made my best friends through sport, so it felt right to want to represent them.”

What would you like to achieve this year?

“My main aim is to support clubs in their return to physical activity following the corona virus pandemic. I will be working working closely with my officer team to rebuild student life and work towards my manifesto. When I wrote my manifesto consider a pandemic; I am aware there will be challenges but my priorities remain the same.”

“I want to create new networking opportunities between sport clubs to improve the general student experience while supporting development, access to sport at the university and raise awareness of IMS. During term one, there is an increased opportunity for work on IMS awareness due to BUCs games not taking place until January. I will also look to build upon the work of previous sports officers to enhance the sporting student experience here at the university and make it the best it can be.”

What will 2020/21 sport look like?

“We are still awaiting guidance before we can provide clarity to incoming and returning students. Ultimately, I promise to be an accountable, approachable and dedicated officer who is committed to communicating any updates effectively and to the best of my ability.”

Whilst you are not able to pop into Josie’s Office (on C Floor of the Portland Building), you can always drop her an email.

Find out more about sport at the University of Nottingham here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sport/index.aspx

Posted in Guest BloggerUncategorized