Staff meeting

June 26, 2015, by Ryan Neal

Meet the team: Andrew Kemp, Transformation Director

Welcome to the first in our series of ‘Meet the team’ blogs. In each post we will focus on a different member of the Project Transform team so that you can get to know the faces behind our work. You’ll learn a bit about each person’s experience prior to the project along with their hopes and aspirations for the solution that we’re delivering. You’ll also get to find out a bit about who they are outside of work. Our first subject is Andrew Kemp, Project Transform’s director.

1. What’s your name?
Andrew Kemp

2. What’s your job title?
Transformation Director

3. What are the main aspects of your role within Project Transform?
I’m the Programme Director for the implementation and integration of a comprehensive IT software system. It aims to transform the individual student lifecycle experience and the ways in which University staff work together globally across all three campuses.

One of the main aspects of my role is to lead this transformation together with the University and to deliver a new operational model in conjunction with University managers. This involves supporting the University and getting them ready to operate with these changes in place, fully adopting the benefits of the investment.

It also involves delivering the transfer of knowledge and new skills for the University to build on, along with the development of the Project Transform team.

4. Have you worked with the University of Nottingham before?
This is my first appointment within the University of Nottingham and I’m looking forward to seeing the new skills and knowledge that the University will acquire through the Transform team. I do, however, have a strong background in higher education, having led a transformation programme at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I also coordinated the merge of Salford College with Salford University, so I’m well acquainted with some of the challenges faced by higher education institutions.

5. What was your role prior to Project Transform?
I was the Programme Director for the Southern Sector NHS Partnership, supporting the Chief Executives of four NHS Trusts. I led the development of the formal partnership to identify and pursue clinical and non-clinical opportunities that would lead to service improvements for patients, increase efficiency and capitalise on economies of scale.

6. How does your previous experience relate to your current role?
After gaining an MBA in 1995, I have worked at director level in a number of private and public sector environments where a mandate for change has been recognised.

I also developed one of the largest Oracle CRM (customer relationship management) solutions of its kind in Europe. Oracle is the same software developer that is being used by Project Transform and I subsequently presented the work as an exemplar to global retailers in the US and the UK.

7. What aspect or functionality of Project Transform are you most looking forward to seeing in action?
I’m most looking forward to seeing the University embracing the full benefits of the solution and the knowledge of the team in order to drive market benefit.

Ultimately I want to see the University become an early adopter of one integrated solution with the student and I can’t wait to see the first student enrolled in the system. But the most important thing is seeing the benefits that Project Transform will bring to the student experience, the University, and the China and Malaysia campuses as part of Strategy 2020.

8. What do you think Project Transform’s greatest benefit will be for the University of Nottingham?
Streamlining organisational operations and changing the culture of internal processes and record keeping for both students and staff. The main benefits will be drawn from one way of doing business, one way of operating, one way of communicating with students and customers, and one information base from which to make informed future decisions.

9. How do you spend your weekends?
Outside of work I like to spend time with my family and friends at my home in Cheshire. There are few things I enjoy more than driving a fast sports car down the west coast of Ireland or spending a summer’s day in the garden!

If you want to know more about myself or any of the work that Project Transform is doing, please pick up the phone and give us a call!

Keep checking back for the next installment of ‘Meet the team’ or subscribe to the blog in order to avoid missing out.