March 30, 2017, by Postgraduate Placements Nottingham

From Museums to Theme Parks – Architecture in practice

Licheng Zhang, a doctor of Architecture at the University of Nottingham, was successful in securing a PPN Postgraduate Placement with 1 World Educational Theme Parks Limited to produce a series of Concept drawings and a CGI walk-through for their educational theme park concept. We asked what drew him to the Postgraduate Placements Nottingham Programme and to the project in particular.

licheng-zhangThe initial attraction of the PPN placement scheme was the possibility of building up my portfolio and gaining practical experience. What I hadn’t expected was finding a placement opportunity so perfectly matched to my passion for architecture and design.

My main area of research focuses on public participation in museum design and engagement, and I’ve also contributed to museum events run at venues such as Nottingham Natural History Museum, Wollaton Hall and Lakeside Arts Centre, as well as worked as a research assistant looking into the revitalization of the Paleozoological Museum of China. I also work as a course assistant in postgraduate design studio and have skills using a range of design tools. As such the placement at WETP Ltd, with its dual focus on public engagement and need for illustration and drafting skills, was right up my street.

‘What I hadn’t expected was finding a placement opportunity so perfectly matched to my passion for architecture and design.’

It wasn’t just the right opportunity on paper though. The team at 1 World Educational Theme Parks Ltd, fully trusted my abilities and skills right from the start and consequently gave me a great deal of creative flexibility in delivering their objectives. This meant that I got to really draw deeply on the new digital techniques that I had picked up in my previous work coordinating museum exhibitions and events. They also invited me to attend their presentations to potential investors as a representative of the company, which was a real honour and brilliant experience.

Obviously it was great to read the November blog post by the WETP Ltd team in which they said that they were delighted with the 3D walkthrough and concept art I developed for their business. From my own side I feel grateful for the practical experience and additions to my portfolio which I gained through the PPN scheme and am confident that they will prove to be invaluable to me in my future endeavours.

If you’re interested in doing a postgraduate placement visit our webpage for more information, or check out current opportunities at the Placements Portal.

Posted in Placements