February 6, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Natalie from Hong Kong

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Natalie is from Hong Kong and is studying MPharm Pharmacy. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

Having studied A level biology, chemistry and maths, I have always been interested in studying within the healthcare field. Pharmacy at the University of Nottingham has been ranked 6th in the world by the 2017 QS World Rankings. Alongside the university’s great reputation for research excellence, it was my first choice in UCAS applications.

The University of Nottingham is campus-based, with wonderful greenery and thriving wildlife amidst historical buildings and architectures; All a short distance by bus to the city centre.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

There are many aspects of the university that I admire. One example may be the diversity of it’s students that study here. The multicultural community is made up of students from more than 150 countries around the world.

Societies are one of the many ways I get to meet new people who share the same interests. With over 200 societies, there will definitely be something for everyone, each day of the week.

What is the best thing about your course?

Currently, I’m a third-year student studying MPharm (with integrated pre-registration scheme) which is a 5-year course. Upon passing my pre-registration exams, not only will I be a qualified pharmacist in the UK, the degree broadens my career pathway by equipping us with knowledge across many vertical themes in our modules. This may include pharmacology, pharmaceutics, chemistry, clinical and professionalism.

In combination with our studies, we have numerous placements across the length of our course. I am also fortunate to be accepted onto the 5-year course, in which, our pre-registration places will be split between our final two years of our course. Nottingham has been one of the pioneering universities to take up this approach and it has been successful in providing its students exposure to real life situations prior to graduation.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

This year, I have joined the University’s Badminton team. This involves participating in BUCS matches on Wednesdays and attending training sessions on multiple occasions during the week.

In my spare time, I am an avid reader and a coffee fanatic. I spend most of my time if not on the badminton court, in one of them many coffee shops around town. In Nottingham city centre, there are many independent cafes with their own unique and flavourful blends. The best way to spend an afternoon for me, is a flat white, a small piece of cake and my kindle.

What societies have you got involved with?

As social secretary of the ABACUS (Association of British and Chinese University Students) society, I have duties in the execution of the social calendar. We are a multicultural society and a social platform where every fortnight, events such as KTV, bowling, mini golf, Hotpot gatherings are organized. By being involved in a society’s committee, you gain many transferable skills while doing something meaningful for other students. And it is through these events, that I have met many of my closest friends at university.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Here are my top tips for new international students:

1. Bus pass – It is incredibly easy to travel to/from campus with the buses that run throughout Nottingham. Our student ID cards double up as a bus pass if you choose to buy one. If you do not travel as regularly, be prepared with lots of coins!
  2. Sports membership – With the newly built David Ross Sports Village, you get access to all it’s facilities with a sports membership. It is slightly cheaper if you buy it during Freshers’ Week and will last for the entire academic year. Great for anyone who uses the gym or plays any kind of sport.
  3. SIM card – There will be free university Wi-Fi throughout all the campuses, but you are advised to buy a SIM card to make calls or messages. You have the option to top it up as you go, or sign yourself up to a contract, which should be slightly cheaper. Some providers allow you to use your allowances outside of the UK for no extra cost. This is extremely useful for when you decide to return to your home country for the holidays!
Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers