February 7, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Hajir from Iraq

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Hajir is from Iraq and is studying MPharm Pharmacy. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

It has one of the highest rankings for Pharmacy in the UK and the world.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

It has a global student community, and there are students from all around the world. It also offers a great student experience since there are many societies we can get involved with. Its campus is also one of the most beautiful and greenest campuses in the world.

What is the best thing about your course?

It challenges me and forces me to think about the human body in a different way. It’s also flexible in terms of future careers, since there are many different fields I can go into.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

Its campus is huge, and it’s easy to get lost in at the beginning.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I watch TV, and read.

What societies have you got involved with?

PharmSoc, Arab Society, Jordanian Society, Egyptian Society.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city? 

It is a student city, and is very safe. It’s fully of a variety of shops, restaurants, and even historical sights such as the Nottingham Castle. There are always events going on in the city that you can go to break the monotony on life.

What is your experience so far of the University of Nottingham?

It is easy to make friends anywhere you go, and sometimes those friends become part of the support system you need to get through the tough times in university. Overall, my experience has been wonderful, and it’s helped me understand myself so much better.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

Despite where you live, there are always buses that can take you to university and into town in less than 15 minutes.

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham? 

I’ve learnt how to be independent and how to manage my time efficiently so as to get the most out of my university experience.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

I’m hoping to find a job in either community or hospital pharmacy.

What is your favourite thing about your course?

There are so many international students in the course, so it’s very easy to meet and befriend people from all around the world. There’s also a lot of lab work and workshops to helps us not only understand things theoretically, but also in clinical conditions.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Don’t shy away from new experiences and making friends. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, there are a lot of support networks in place for all students. The culture here might be different, but Nottingham is very welcoming to new international students.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers