October 27, 2011, by Simon Gosling

A Week in Westminster for Simon Gosling…

Throughout next week (31 Oct to Nov) I’ll be blogging about my experiences as one of the participants on the Royal Society Pairing Scheme. I’ll be spending a week in Westminster, shadowing Mr Barry Gardiner MP, who is Ed Miliband’s Special Envoy for Climate Change and the Environment and MP for Brent North. With my research expertise in global climate change impacts assessment and international policy and decision making, I’m really pleased to be spending a week with Barry, to see what his role involves, and how he uses the information that scientists such as myself provide, to inform political debates and policy making.

I’ll be attending seminars, lectures and tailored workshops relating to science in Parliament and Government, attending Select Committee meetings and debates in the House of Commons, observing meetings with  ministers, following the MP to press interviews, visiting Government offices and attending policy meetings. So all in all, quite an exciting and busy week is ahead, which I am really looking forward to!

The Royal Society have asked that I keep a ‘diary’ of my thoughts and activities throughout the week, so what better way of doing so than blogging about it all here!

Simon Gosling