January 29, 2017, by Leon Man
Househunting in Nottingham as an outgoing study abroad student
Househunting is always a headache, because there’s so many things to think about. But what if you’re going to be studying abroad next year? How do you go about arranging accommodation, especially if you’re only going to study abroad for one semester?
Many students who go abroad are often worried about finding somewhere to stay when they return (or before they go abroad, if they’re just going away for the Spring semester). But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
You should find out about whether you’ve been successfully admitted to a study abroad programme by the end of February 2017, but it doesn’t hurt to think about your potential accommodation options now – it’s always better to start early and be prepared when it comes to househunting, especially if you’ll be abroad next year!
Where can I find other students to share accommodation?
1. Join the new UoNStudyAbroad Accommodation Facebook Group to get in touch with other outgoing (and returning) study abroad students.
2. Post on the Unipol Nottingham Notice Boards
3. Ask around in the Nottingham Buy/Sell/Trade groups and other University-related Facebook groups (but be careful, membership of those groups are often open so don’t reveal too many details of yourself in a post!)
4. Ask your friends and friends of friends to see if any of them are studying abroad, and would be interested in sharing accommodation
5. Speak to other students who’ve been nominated to go abroad during our Pre-Departure Conference (in March 2017) and at other events and presentations organised by the Study Abroad Team. This would probably be the easiest way to find who you need!
If you’ve left it late or still struggling to find housemates/accommodation, then don’t panic. You can always stay at university catered accommodation as a back up option.
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first