January 12, 2021, by Agnes

“Meaty” recipes for Veganuary

Happy New Year! 

And, of course, happy Veganuary!

I’m not here to convert you to veganism or to convince you to participate in Veganuary, I promise. However, if you’re curious to try something new or are looking for some new vegan recipes – I’ve got just the thing for you.

Vegan recipes, as all recipes really, can be overly complicated or require obscure ingredients that students don’t have access to. So, here are 3 of my favourite “meaty” recipes that are completely student-friendly:

1. 6 Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit • It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken

This recipe is amazing and I make it fairly regularly. It mimics “pulled pork” style meat – I usually have it in tacos, in a burger or on nachos. If you try anything from this list, I truly recommend this one.

All you need is a can of jackfruit, a bit of olive oil, some chopped onion and garlic and BBQ sauce. That’s all there is to it.

You can find a can of jackfruit at any supermarket for about £1.50. Yes, it’s a little more expensive than a can of beans, but a lot cheaper than a packet of mince meat – it’s about perspective!

2. Easy Vegan Spag Bol — hmfyoga

Spag Bol – the staple in every student’s diet, including the vegan ones! Let me tell you a secret – just grab a bag of veggie mince next time you do your grocery shop and you can make your spag bol exactly the same way as you always do with just one substitution.

The recipe above is a slightly elevated spag bol, for when you want to impress your dinner guests. A glass of red wine? Don’t mind if I do.

The beauty of it is that you can add or take away almost anything you like (except… you know… the spaghetti and the bolognese sauce). Personally, I don’t like marmite so I’d skip it in the above recipe!

3. Korean Style Spicy Tofu – Simple Vegan Blog

Okay, I’ll admit this isn’t necessarily “meaty” but you definitely won’t miss meat while eating this. To make it student-friendly, simply swap the tamari for soy sauce and the gochujang paste for tomato paste mixed with cayenne pepper or with sriracha. (This is included in the ‘tips’ on the recipe page.)

I would have this with a side of white rice and some kimchi. Or even have this as a side to a stir fry or fried rice

Whether you’re participating in Veganuary or not, it’s good to try new things so I hope you’ll like these recipes.

Enjoy!

Posted in Agnes