August 31, 2020, by Issy

Post-Summer Blues

Okay, so I may have just coined the ‘Post Summer Blues’ term there, but trust me, this is definitely a thing. I know I get this feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach as the classically summery month of August passes quicker with every day, and tips over into the realm of September, which I associate with back to the grind, early starts and alarm clocks. Pretty sure that is why August 31st is my least favourite day of the year.

You may now think, “oh, but we didn’t really HAVE a summer this year so be sad about ending, which, I guess is true. But, having been mostly at home since mid-March, I definitely think going back to uni could trigger some anxiety – it certainly has for me.

Its not that I’m scared of uni, or don’t enjoy it – quite the opposite. I’m really looking forward to getting back to seeing my friends and doing my course, but it will involve establishing a whole new routine to what I’ve got used to over the past few months, which for me, takes time and can be quite unsettling.

So, how I’ve been trying to deal with these feelings is to focus on the things I am looking forward to about the whole autumnal season in general. Things that immediately spring to mind are pumpkin spiced latte’s, wearing cosy jumpers, and not being woken up at 5am by the early rising sun! Im not a Halloween person, but I do love fireworks and bonfires, and curling up in a blanket on a sofa and watching a film (preferably with popcorn and hot chocolate within easy reach!). Oh, and i just love waking up in the morning to a crisp frost, and walking through it, leaving footprints and seeing where the campus rabbits and geese have walked before you!

So, yes. I digress. Sometimes, when you’re going back to uni, you really are surrounded by people who all seem to be having the time of their life. This is also true for freshers – it seems noone else feels a little overwhelmed by the sudden change of scene, but trust me, they really are, deep down.

To end this brief heart to heart, that maybe things aren’t so great right now, I saw this quote online which I really liked which helps me put things into perspective when things are tough, especially when you’re curled up in bed after a long day scrolling through social media : “don’t compare your behind the scenes to someone else’s highlights reel”

Posted in Issy