Open book on grass with a leaf on top of it

May 19, 2020, by Agnes

4 Escapist Books to Lift Your Spirits

With the current state of the world; the unrest and anxiety… there’s a certain type of fiction that really hits the spot. I find it hard to focus on a book when I have a lot on my mind, but these books have achieved the impossible – they pulled me into a world that is real enough to be relatable but fictional enough to help me forget all my problems. If you’re also looking for a bit of escapism, here’s my collection of the books that are helping me through quarantine. (And if you prefer, most of these have film adaptations!)

The Humans by Matt Haig

“The Humans” is a story of what it means to be human; it’s a first-person account of an alien being sent to earth in a human body and figuring out how to fit in in a world so different from his own. Matt Haig’s writing is humorous, light-hearted and easy to read. It’s one of my all-time favourite reads and I highly recommend it to everyone. This is the only book on this list that hasn’t been turned into a movie- but even if you’re not into books, it’s definitely worth a read.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

The best way I can describe “Stardust” is as a fairy-tale for adults. It’s set in a town between ‘our world’ and Fairie – a land beyond maps which is full of magic. The main character sets out on a journey through the magical forests of Fairie to find a fallen star to give to a girl in exchange for her hand in marriage. “Stardust” is a story full of twists and turns and well-planned plots intertwining with each other. The writing is so engaging and vibrant, that it feels like you’re right there.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Similarly to “Stardust”, “The Princess Bride” is kind of a fairy-tale story. It’s full of comedy and romance and action and subverted fairy-tale cliches. One of my favourite things about it is that Buttercup, “The Princess Bride” herself, isn’t a typical damsel in distress – she’s outspoken, daring and resistant. The book is written in the format of a bed-time story to the Goldman’s daughters. Here, although the writing is also beautiful, it’s the story itself that makes it difficult to put the book down. 

Hector and the Search for Happiness by François Lelord

This novel follows Hector, the titular character, on his journey around the world trying to figure out what “Happiness” is. The book reads like a children’s story but deals with very adult themes, which makes it easy-going but interesting. Lelord’s novel is different from the other books on this list, as it doesn’t have magical or other-worldly elements. On the contrary, it reminds the reader of all the good parts of the world we live in.

I hope I’ve managed to convince you to look to some of these books for comfort – and if you’re looking for more book recommendations check out Shweta’s post full of great reads! 

Happy reading!

Posted in Agnes