May 9, 2018, by Lucy

A Second Year’s Guide to Nottingham

Since it is exam season, it is pretty safe to say that this academic year is reading its final curtain. With this drawing of the strings, so too my degree gets closer to completion and I get closer to entering the real world. Thus, now that I am two thirds of the way through my degree, I like to think that I know a few things about Nottingham. So, here’s my definitive guide to *Bruno Mars voice* living it up in the city.

Entertainment

Savoy Cinema

When most people move out of halls, Lenton is the place to go. Along with Sainsburys, Savoy Cinema is a staple of Lenton life. Being a quaint independent cinema, the Savoy is perfect for catching the latest blockbuster as well as catching special anniversary viewings and screenings of independent art films. With sofa like seats, a tango ice blast machine and tickets costing £5, Savoy Cinema is a perfect way to escape the pressures of university on a budget. If you fancy watching Spice World on the big screen or even want to participate in a Grease singalong, the Savoy is the place to be.

Live Music

Although small in comparison to other UK cities, Nottingham’s music scene does not disappoint. Whether you want to catch a big name at the Motorpoint Arena or Rock City, or fancy seeing someone smaller at the Rescue Rooms or the Bodega, you will be spoiled for choice. With the likes of Noel Gallagher, George Ezra and The Vaccines having come to Notts in the past couple of months it is safe to say that live music in the city is not something to miss.

Places to Go

Woollaton Park

If you though University Park Campus was like walking in a nature reserve, you will be overjoyed on a visit to Woollaton Park. With an array of walks, deer, and even a stately home, the park makes for a great day out in the sun. Grab some friends and head down to the park to take in summer in all its glory as aside from the deer, the park is also the home to annual music festivals, outdoor theatre and cinema and numerous sporting events. If you fear getting bored over summer, Woollaton Hall and park will definitely not let you down.

Cobden Chambers

If shopping is more your thing, a hidden gem in Nottingham is Cobden Chambers. Just off Pelham Street is a hidden courtyard home to an array of small businesses, offering you an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. From cafes to hairdressers to an independent magazine shop, the chamber is the place to be for those of you looking for different creative outlets. Just walk through the gate and discover a whole new side to Nottingham, what could go wrong? Besides, it might even provide you with a photo opportunity for Instagram.

Where to Eat

Annie’s Burger Shack

I’ve talked about this place before and guaranteed I will talk about it again. Annie’s Burger Shack is heaven on earth, a place that I would like to consider as being my second home. With over 20 burgers on the menu, with vegan and vegetarian options being available, the shack caters for all dietary requirements (so long as you’re not on a diet that is). From the simple cheeseburger to the Johnny Vegas (it comes with a doughnut), you can be as extreme or as reserved as you please. Take it from me, even the fussiest eaters will be pleased.

Doughnotts

Ok, so this place is more of a pop in and out scenario, but it sells food nonetheless. Having started life as the Nottingham Doughnut Company before rebranding and expanding to cover Derby and Leicester, there’s a reason for the popularity of these doughnuts. As well as being the size of a person’s head, the doughnuts match Annie’s in terms of variety: from the likes of the humble jam doughnut to a Nutella churro, Doughnotts make Krispy Kreme seem like an amateur’s doing.

Posted in Lucy