January 29, 2018, by Chloe

Cake for everyone!

I live with an odd bunch of people. One housemate is vegan, another is dairy intolerant and then there’s me with a nut allergy and a whole host of other things. It makes cooking together a challenge. I love baking though, and it’s even better if it’s inclusive of everyone’s requirements. So here’s two recipes for sweet treats that can be made vegan, gluten and nut free on a budget.

Chocolate Mug Brownie

You will need:

(Measurements given for a small mug cake – double for a more indulgent cake)

1.5 tbsp flour (self raising works best, but any is fine)
1.5 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
1.5 tbsp water
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla extract

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a microwavable mug.
  2. Add the wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.
  3. Microwave for between 30 seconds to a minute depending on how firm you want it.

This brownie tastes delicious with some chocolate pieces stirred in at step 2, or topped with fresh banana.

Warning – this recipe is too tasty and easy not to make repeatedly.

Chocolate Mousse

I was very surprised when I first made this vegan mousse with how decadent it tasted – I think I prefer it to regular mousse.

You will need:

The liquid (aquafaba) from 1 tin of chickpeas (save the chickpeas to make something else)
150g vegan dark chocolate
3 tbsp sugar

1. Whisk the aquafaba in a bowl for about 15 minutes, until it forms stiff peaks like egg whites.
    Meanwhile, melt the chocolate.
  2. Gently fold in the melted chocolate and sugar into the aquafaba, whisking it gently if it starts to lose height.
  3. Pour the mixture into moulds and chill in the fridge for as long as possible, preferably overnight.

We made this using plastic cocktail glasses as the moulds, with a frozen raspberry at the bottom of the stem, topped with chocolate shavings and fresh fruit. For non-vegans, squirty cream goes well on top.

Enjoy!

Posted in ChloeUncategorized