January 27, 2016, by Joe

3 Must Read Books For Students

Like many of you out there, I am an avid reader and so I have dedicated this particular entry to recommending 3 of the best books for students. Of course this is the opinion of just one 20 year old biology student and so if you have any suggestions or improvements please feel free to recommend some of your favourite books for students and I will do my best to read them and hopefully report back with a review of my own.

1. Paper Towns by John Green

The underlying themes of Paper Towns are best summed up in one word “Empathy”. This book like many others written by Green, is about imaging others complexly and breaks down the rules set by the classic romance genre. An awkward teenage boy by the name of Quentin undergoes two journeys, one in which he sets out to find his long term High School friend Margo when she disappears after a night of widespread practical jokes and another in which he must come to terms with why she has left everything behind and why he is so eager to find her. Modern, fast paced and insightful are 3 words to excellently describe the first book on my list.

1. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

In my opinion, the definitive coming of age novel. One of the most critically acclaimed books of all time and also one of the most appropriate for students. The Catcher in the Rye is a first person narrative told from the perspective of Holden Caulfield, the original rebel without a cause. This 48 hour snapshot into a disillusioned teen’s life is an excellent piece of literary realism and demonstrates the loneliness, marginalisation and the need for support that can take place in the time between being a teenager and becoming an adult.

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The final novel in my list is one about overcoming adversity and engaging in life. The most tragic book on this list is written as a series of letters from Charlie, a very awkward, shy and intelligent 15 year old boy. The novel deals with many issues associated with youth such as abuse, intolerance and relationships. All through the story Charlie grapples with the idea that it is important to understand that people are a product of their environment but also that everyone, no matter their circumstance, has the ability to change. This is a powerful message and one that has stuck with me for many years.

Posted in Joe