April 30, 2015, by Gemma Coleman

Varsity: Ice Ice Baby

The atmosphere was tense. The gameplay was rough and competitive. And, of course, there were winners and losers. And that was just buying the tickets…

Having friends organised enough and willing to wait for the Box Office Tickets page to load, last night I watched the Varsity Ice Hockey match in the Capital FM arena. Last year, I went along to the field hockey match, so I thought it was only fair to give its icy companion a try.

Foam Finger: compulsory Ice Hockey viewing kit

Not knowing anything about Ice Hockey, this is what I learnt from last night’s match:

• Ice Hockey Players must be seriously fit and get pretty overheated
  • Mexican waves don’t always work. No matter how many times you try.
  • It is not acceptable to shout “Go Sports!” at any time
  • Foam fingers get sweaty but are worth £2 just for the standard “I’m watching Ice Hockey!” photos you get from it
  • Sitting behind the goal with a net to protect you from flying pucks is a good idea- I did not want a Ross moment

Obligatory Friends reference

Obligatory Friends reference

In the first two periods (note use of sporty term), UoN had a comfortable lead of 4-0. Our supporters were pretty chilled (no pun intended). We were rather good it seemed and our goaltender was not afraid to throw himself across the net. I, however, was scared that I might break a bone just watching. The final period, though, soon started to get a little heated as Trent scored 3 goals, including a penalty, which was all rather exciting.

Status: Ready to Rumble

My group started to scream, jump around and watch nervously as the minutes ticked by. And then, with seconds to go, a fight broke out and UoN players and supporters alike cheered as they assumed this meant it was all over. After the scuffle had been broken up, though, it was apparent that it was not, but with only 7 seconds left on the clock, we kept the pink shirts of the Trent players away.

CHAMPS

CHAMPS

Final score: 4-3 to UoN

Final verdict: Ice hockey is pretty violent!

Posted in Gemma