December 8, 2014, by Olivia

Sutton Bonnington Farmers Market (Christmas Edition)

Hello all you lovely folk! Today marks the final week of the autumn term and as much as I love university and being swamped with coursework, I think I deserve a nice Christmas break. Anyway, enough yapping, I shall crack on with this week’s post!

I am ashamed to say this but I have been at this university since September 2012 and I had never been to the Sutton Bonnington Campus up until last Wednesday. Better late than never hey? After nearly missing the hopper bus from University Park I was finally on my way to Sutton Bonnington! 30 minutes later and we pulled up to the campus gates and it actually reminded me a little of the King’s Meadow campus. There aren’t any pictures of the campus as I didn’t wander around very much outside of the market. Next time perhaps.

The farmers market didn’t cover a very large area so imagine my surprise when I saw the number of stalls. There was such a wide range of goodies for sale from honey and jam to art and cake pops and soap cakes you really are spoiled for choice!

SB Market

Some of the things on sale at the Farmer’s Market.

However I think my favourite store was definitely the one in the picture below. The artist was so lovely and we had a little chat about her artwork and the designs of her unique Christmas cards. (like I needed to be convinced). I had to get a friend to pull me away before I bought all her merchandise!

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Cards, stationery and more with illustrations by local artist Deborah Ballinger.

tumblr_ng2aunzxrv1sdhf1no1_500

Some of the prettiest Christmas cards I had seen so far, I loved her work so much I bought 5 of them!

Of course it would’t be a post by me without a teeny tiny little mention about food? I had the most wonderful beef burger from the Longhorn Beef stall. I had a simple beef burger with a slice of cheese and some sautéed onions. It was divine, which makes me ask the question:  How do burgers at farmers markets taste so good?

Processed with VSCOcam with se2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Look at that beauty.

As the Sutton Bonnington campus is about 5 miles away (I checked on Google Maps) from the East Midlands Airport there was a never-ending amount of planes flying overhead and really low as well. I think it could potentially be annoying for residents in the area but I was happy to be enjoying a lovely day outside and plane-watching. If you couldn’t tell, I love watching planes land and takeoff. I would gladly arrive early at an airport if it meant I had a good view of the runway!

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

I really enjoyed the farmers market on Sutton Bonnington and if any of you are interested the next one will be on the 4th of February (I know, its ages away!), I would definitely recommend it.

Hope you all have a lovely final week ahead and if you are itching to go home, only 5 days to go!

Posted in Olivia